PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to create a nickname/alias/logical name for an interface

tdiy
July 28th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Hi,

Basically I am looking for a simple way to create a universal nickname/alias for a interface.
We ship servers that have upto 6 NICs on them. The user can have those NIC configured as either ethN, bondN or vlanN interfaces. As we need to provide NIC status information we would like to be able to run commands such as

ifconfig INTERFACE1that would map to whatever the user had already configured.

So INTERFACE1 could represent eth0 or bond0 or vlan100 or whatever.

Is that possible?

Cheers
Thomas

tdiy
August 10th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Well after trawling the web, experimenting with ALL sorts of ideas and even screwing up the boot sequence due to a bug in /etc/network/interface file (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ifupdown/+bug/512253) I finally figured out what I needed to know.

By setting up a bridged interface. I can now have a fixed named interface that lives on top of either a VLAN a bonded interface or just the plain ordinary physical eth interface.

You will need to install bridge-utils

sudo apt-get install bridge-utilsand your /etc/network/interface files should look something like this

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
bond-slaves eth0 eth1
bond_mode 1
bond_miimon 100

auto WHATEVER-NAME-YOU-LIKE
iface WHATEVER-NAME-YOU-LIKE inet static
address 10.1.3.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
vlan-raw-device bond0
bridge_ports vlan50
which gives you the following interface chain
WHATEVER-NAME-YOU-LIKE <-> vlan50 <-> bond0 <-> (eth0 & eth1)

Credit goes to http://inodes.org/2007/04/30/ubuntu-vlans-and-bridges/ for opening my eyes to bridging

Ttttthat's it folks :)

Apparently trying to get DHCP working with a bridged bonded interface requires something like this

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
bond-slaves none
bond_mode 1
bond_miimon 100

auto eth0
allow-bond0 eth0
iface eth0 inet manual
bond-master bond0

auto WHATEVER-NAME-YOU-LIKE
iface WHATEVER-NAME-YOU-LIKE inet dhcp
bridge_ports bond0