PDA

View Full Version : Linux experience index?

u-noob-tu
July 28th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Windows computers have the "Windows experience index" where it tells you how well windows runs on your hardware, but is there anything like that for Linux? I want to know how my laptop scores.

YesWeCan
July 28th, 2011, 12:08 PM
There is an app called 'hardinfo' that does benchmarking. I think it is in the software centre.

haqking
July 28th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Windows computers have the "Windows experience index" where it tells you how well windows runs on your hardware, but is there anything like that for Linux? I want to know how my laptop scores.

benchmarks dont mean anything, its all about user experience, if you feel things are slow then it dont matter what score you get, if its fast to you then again it dont matter.

performance is experience based in my opinion.

YesWeCan
July 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM
benchmarks dont mean anything, its all about user experience,
Size isn't everything? ;) :P

u-noob-tu
July 28th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Benchmarks may not have the final say on experience, but they do give an idea of what you should expect.

What about the program "system testing" in ubuntu? Is that a benchmark program?

3Miro
July 28th, 2011, 12:31 PM
User experience is subjective, how can an app measure that?

haqking
July 28th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Benchmarks may not have the final say on experience, but they do give an idea of what you should expect.

a couple of things are mentiuoned here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217567

and here for a suite

http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/

haqking
July 28th, 2011, 12:35 PM

exactly.
I know people with the latest and greatest in everything who say things are slow (when what they mean is torrent downloads are slow cause of no seeds ;-)

the industry has this fast/slow thing as a generalisation for a singular performance issue which is usually softrware related anyways and not hardware based.

Plus we all have different experiences and views on what is fast and slow.

YesWeCan
July 28th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Fyi

NightwishFan
July 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM
A good example is ReactOS. You could call it 'fast'. However there is no way that it would beat Linux in raw benchmarks. It is simply light and possibly reactive, not 'fast'. Or even better it could be like saying Windows 95 is faster than Windows 7. Windows 95 could likely not even make use of advanced modern cpu features to make it run as well as it should.

Basically, benchmarks (even real world ones) only mean things to the folks that are looking for a specific result. A 'rule of thumb'. The rest is all marketing.

u-noob-tu
July 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Fyi
yes, i just downloaded it. thats quite a lot of detailed info, thanks for the suggestion.

del_diablo
July 28th, 2011, 05:48 PM

It can measure how fast your HD is, how good your CPU is, and a lot more.
Yes it can measure user experience.
The kicker is that it can't measure how poorly apps are written.

3Miro
July 28th, 2011, 06:50 PM
It can measure how fast your HD is, how good your CPU is, and a lot more.
Yes it can measure user experience.
The kicker is that it can't measure how poorly apps are written.

HD and CPU speed falls under "benchmark" category, not some abstract "user experience" thing.

The beauty of FOSS is that if you don't like one program, there is always another. If you don't like any of them, then you can make a new one yourself or modify an existing program. If you cannot code, then you can pay someone to do it for you.

IWantFroyo
July 28th, 2011, 06:53 PM

The System Testing program just takes you through basic functions (opening a pdf file, opening a .jpg, etc.). It just makes sure your device has all you would need. I doubt it has any benchmarking program in there, although I didn't make it through the entire thing.