PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Create a bootable partition which contains Windows 7 installation.

Kife1100
July 28th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I am using Ubuntu 11.04 on my sisters computer which I am borrowing until my laptop gets fixed by Dell *sigh*

The only catch was that I had to remove the virus thats been plaguing this computer any means necessary my plan was to delete the windows 7 partition and put Ubuntu in its place temporarily.

My sister didn't have the Windows 7 DVD that was given to her *sigh again* but she did still have the key labeled on the side of the machine. So my plan than included to download that .iso of Windows 7, and then use setup.exe.

Much to my foolish thinking I thought I could use that setup.exe in Wine *sigh again....*

I then got a brilliant idea, is there a way for me to create a bootable partition that contains everything necessary to boot the Windows installation?

Quackers
July 28th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Welcome to UF.
Surely if Dell are fixing your pc they will return it with Windows re-installed? If it was installed originally.

Kife1100
July 28th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Yes I am hoping they do that, although in the mean time I am using my sisters computer which is the one I am talking about.

Edit: I actually believe I found a video of a person doing in it Windows 7 so it may be possible to do it in Ubuntu I might just have to do some snooping.

Reedit: I mimicked what the video told me up until I had to go into CMD and type in /nt60 to make bootsect.exe actually bootable.... I have no way of know how to do this in Ubuntu.

YesWeCan
July 28th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Seems extreme to delete and reinstall Windows in order to purge a virus. Have you tried an anti-virus program like Microsoft Security Essentials or AVG. Both are free.

Mark Phelps
July 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Also, if you Google for Kaspersky Rescue CD, you will find links that will allow you download that. Burn that to CD, boot from it, do the necessary definition update, and run it.

Since it runs outside of Windows (it's actually a Linux boot CD), nothing in Windows will interfere with it.