PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find Ubuntu feels quite... vibrant and alive?

hoppipolla
July 28th, 2011, 05:30 AM
It's strange!

Like... I don't know why, just the way it acts and how integrated everything is and how colourful and friendly it all is... and the fluidity and layout of the desktop... something about it makes it feel just a little bit more intelligent and alive than Windows!

Now that's not to say I don't enjoy using Windows 7, Win XP, other desktops, etc... but just that while Windows 7 or KDE 4 might feel nice to use in a kind of technical, traditional way, Ubuntu has a kind of more living, warm feel that is completely different!

Maybe I'm going crazy hehe

Does anyone else know what I mean? I've noticed it for quite a while!

Hoppi! :)

JDShu
July 28th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Ubuntu has an amazing theme (best in the Linux landscape imo). The design team did a good job there.

danyc05
July 28th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I feel the same exact way. I started noticing it now because i use to use ubuntu on my desktop and when i bought a laptop it had windows 7. Windows 7 was smooth and worked good but it just got boring after a while i missed the updates from ubuntu and the interface and everything about it. Plus windows 7 will be outdated soon unless you buy the next windows but i will never be out of date using Ubuntu :)

beew
July 28th, 2011, 06:05 AM
It's strange!

Like... I don't know why, just the way it acts and how integrated everything is and how colourful and friendly it all is... and the fluidity and layout of the desktop... something about it makes it feel just a little bit more intelligent and alive than Windows!

Now that's not to say I don't enjoy using Windows 7, Win XP, other desktops, etc... but just that while Windows 7 or KDE 4 might feel nice to use in a kind of technical, traditional way, Ubuntu has a kind of more living, warm feel that is completely different!

Maybe I'm going crazy hehe

Does anyone else know what I mean? I've noticed it for quite a while!

Hoppi! :)

I agree, and you put it very nicely. :)

Meanwhile there are threads where some people complain Ubuntu doesn't look "polished" enough like vista. :confused: I cringe everytime when I see people trying to make their Ubuntu computers look like XP or Vista with themes and wall paper, it is just dull and ugly like the PC guy from the Mac commercial.

LowSky
July 28th, 2011, 06:25 AM
I really dont think it is polished enough.

gnome 3 and kde 4.7 look much more polished.

ilovelinux33467
July 28th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I really dont think it is polished enough.

gnome 3 and kde 4.7 look much more polished.

+1 to that.

Syndicalist
July 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I think the default look appears childish, like its trying to look like a smartphone. Bright colors and large icons, like a children's cartoon.

beew
July 28th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I think the default look appears childish, like its trying to look like a smartphone. Bright colors and large icons, like a children's cartoon.

You can adjust the icon size. And what's wrong with bright colour and children's cartoon?

Syndicalist
July 28th, 2011, 07:50 AM
It looks like its trying to look like an Ipad. I dont even like Ipads, and I certainly dont want my desktop to be a clone of my phone....which is Android btw. I wouldnt take an Iphone if it was free......unless I could sell it and not actually have to use it.

Syndicalist
July 28th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I wont use another default Ubuntu product until they stop trying to look like a cheap imitation of IOS. I HATE apples dumbed down interface. Honestly, I would rather they copy the look and feel of Windows 7 instead of Mac, though I have no love for Microsoft....IOS is a HORRIBLE model to emulate for a desktop or even a laptop or netbook. At least Windows 7 looks like it belongs on a workstation, making it comparably preferable to Mac if you are going to copy someone else's look.

Its childish looking. Maybe I would give unity to my daughter when she learns to read, but the grown ups need something appropriate for a workstation, and a Mac clone isnt that.

kaldor
July 28th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I think Win7 has the most vibrant/alive look because of the visual effects. However, Ubuntu has the best overall theme because it is subtle, not distracting, and easy on my eyes due to the colour scheme.

Syndicalist
July 28th, 2011, 08:26 AM
There are some good Ubuntu BASED distros.

Mints KDE implementation is the best I have seen, looks wise. Their debian edition with gnome is great and faster.

I dislike Unity because its trying to copy Mac IOS when it would be better to copy Windows or do its own thing.

Pinguy is pretty decent for an Ubuntu based distro. I like how it looks out of the box, except I prefer the regular tab buttons in the panel, which is easily changed.

cariboo
July 28th, 2011, 08:31 AM

This is my desktop, I don't see any large icons, or garish colours, it took less than 30 seconds to make my desktop look this way, you don't have to stick with the defaults. As a comparison I've also included a screenshot similar to my Android.

el_koraco
July 28th, 2011, 08:38 AM
This is my desktop, I don't see any large icons, or garish colours, it took less than 30 seconds to make my desktop look this way. I've also included a screenshot similar to my Android.

Lawl, I know this is not the screenshots thread, but would you mind giving a link to the wallpaper? :D

cariboo
July 28th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Lawl, I know this is not the screenshots thread, but would you mind giving a link to the wallpaper? :D

http://i.imgur.com/Deuuhl.jpg (http://imgur.com/Deuuh)

I don't remember where I got it from

el_koraco
July 28th, 2011, 08:50 AM
It's going in my Dropbox folder! Thanks!

hoppipolla
July 28th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I guess it does look a bit simplified, but I just find it so immediate and friendly and pleasing to interact with :)

Before it was all bugs and so as much as I may have WANTED to get drawn into it's friendly approach to an OS, I couldn't because I had to wade through bugs!

This time, although it's not perfect (maximised windows still handle a little odd and things like preferences can be tricky to find - took me a while to find them in Empathy!) it's much more fluid than it used to be.

Although I do like KDE and used to much prefer it to Gnome and any other desktop, I now do feel it looks pretty techie compared to Ubuntu/Gnome's look, which kinda feels more modern now.

I look forward to seeing how all this evolves!!

jhonan
July 28th, 2011, 10:51 AM
I'm so glad you brought this up - I thought I was alone.

Just last night, I became one with my OS. As I moved the mouse across the desktop, time seemed to slow down. It was as if the mouse itself was dragging a wave of time and space across the screen. As this rip in the fabric of human-computer interaction opened up, I became drawn in.

Deeper and deeper I feel; the icons, the colours, the windows merged together in a cacophony of beauty. My mind became one with my desktop environment. As I drew closer to the core, I was beckoned by an irresistible white light. The core... it had one name. Ubuntu.

Ubuntu spoke. But it was not words I could understand, more like... music. The most serene music I had ever heard. As my senses merged with the core I could feel my consciousness, my very identity, slipping away.

XubuRoxMySox
July 28th, 2011, 01:27 PM

Some of us like the big icons, bright colors and childlike cartoony stuff, but I don't think they're aiming for "a childish look." I think they're aiming for a feeling; a sense that the interface is simple enough for children. That appeals to alot of users. More than we all thought, perhaps.

-Robin

sffvba[e0rt
July 28th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I'm so glad you brought this up - I thought I was alone.

Just last night, I became one with my OS. As I moved the mouse across the desktop, time seemed to slow down. It was as if the mouse itself was dragging a wave of time and space across the screen. As this rip in the fabric of human-computer interaction opened up, I became drawn in.

Deeper and deeper I feel; the icons, the colours, the windows merged together in a cacophony of beauty. My mind became one with my desktop environment. As I drew closer to the core, I was beckoned by an irresistible white light. The core... it had one name. Ubuntu.

Ubuntu spoke. But it was not words I could understand, more like... music. The most serene music I had ever heard. As my senses merged with the core I could feel my consciousness, my very identity, slipping away.

I would suggest laying off of the caffeine that late at night (or what ever else you where using in excess ;))

hoppipolla
July 28th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I would suggest laying off of the caffeine that late at night (or what ever else you where using in excess ;))

haha yeah :)

Some of us like the big icons, bright colors and childlike cartoony stuff, but I don't think they're aiming for "a childish look." I think they're aiming for a feeling; a sense that the interface is simple enough for children. That appeals to alot of users. More than we all thought, perhaps.

-Robin

yeah I think you're right :)

I think the future of computing is in this direction - friendly and welcoming and with a gradually increasing move away from the technical and towards the... almost real and responsive. Followed by operating system AI, sentience, and then, of course, Judgment Day! xD

http://i.imgur.com/Ny6Jt.jpg

Linuxratty
July 28th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I'd say comfortable and familiar.

Copper Bezel
July 28th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I don't use the default anything, but I think I know what you mean. It's an inviting desktop (in whatever form that takes for you) that makes you want to play with it, combined with some familiarity and the sense that the machine is going to respond in a certain agreeable way. (Buttons that say "push me!" in the candy center of your brain.) It's not far off from the sense that tablet users talk about the tactile interaction with media.

hoppipolla
July 29th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Yeah, I don't use the default anything, but I think I know what you mean. It's an inviting desktop (in whatever form that takes for you) that makes you want to play with it, combined with some familiarity and the sense that the machine is going to respond in a certain agreeable way. (Buttons that say "push me!" in the candy center of your brain.) It's not far off from the sense that tablet users talk about the tactile interaction with media.

Yeah you're right!

Also, even the information and error messages and stuff it gives are informative, friendly and well organized.

Like a second ago when it said to me "Laptop will suspend very soon unless it is plugged in" or something like that - Windows NEVER gives me that much detail!! It's so nice having a better communication with the computer.

All does feel very futuristic haha :)

wolfen69
July 29th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I see this thread didn't take long to degrade.

hoppipolla
July 29th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I see this thread didn't take long to degrade.

hm.. I might actually start a new one regarding operating system "AI"... I really like that concept!!