PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question about dual booting

gmg2000
July 27th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Hello forum, I've been dual-booting for about 3 years. Suddenly, my Vista(I know) partition began acting strange. I was wondering if there is anyway to re-install Vista without touching the Ubuntu partition?

ajgreeny
July 27th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Is this a proper partitioned dual boot or a wubi installation of ubuntu inside windows?

If you have the two systems on different partitions you can go ahead and re-install vista, which will probably not even see the ubuntu partitions. Just to be safe, however, make sure you have backups of everything first.

Once installed, you will find that windows has taken over where grub used to be so restore grub by following the instructions on the Grub2 basics link in my signature

Mark Phelps
July 28th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Hello forum, I've been dual-booting for about 3 years. Suddenly, my Vista(I know) partition began acting strange. I was wondering if there is anyway to re-install Vista without touching the Ubuntu partition?

If you have Vista install DVD, why not just do a repair install instead? That will leave the apps and your files/settings intact.

For instructions on how to do that, go to the following:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html?filter[3]=Installation and Setup

The instructions are for Win7 but the process is the same for Vista.

gmg2000
July 29th, 2011, 07:01 PM
thanks for the information.