PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst Ubuntu moment in your life

SoulTechnologist
July 27th, 2011, 07:57 PM
My very best Ubuntu moment was when I set my old Dell Inspiron 700m to boot by the USB and the Ubuntu installation screen appeared in front of my face. This moment was exceeded by when Ubuntu recognised my wireless drive, which never worked under its native Windows XP :D

The worst moment happened when I started playing with sudo command as root user, compromising tons of files and software that was essential for me. I've learned the hard way ;-)

Share your best and worst moment during your Ubuntu experience.

cgroza
July 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
The most moment was when I had a romantic dinner under the full moon with my OS.
The worst one is when I thought the OS is cheating on me with someone else.
:popcorn:

SoulTechnologist
July 27th, 2011, 08:47 PM
the most moment was when i had a romantic dinner under the full moon with my os.
The worst one is when i thought the os is cheating on me with someone else.
:popcorn:

+1

KiwiNZ
July 27th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Life

ubuntu

It plays a small role in my life, so so much more out there to affect it in good and bad ways.

Buying stuff
breathing fresh air
meeting people
helping people
eating an Apple
Buying an Apple
Skipping a stone
etc
etc
etc

Oh and watching grass grow.

IWantFroyo
July 27th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Best moment- I realized I didn't need Windows for anything anymore. At all.

Worst moment- I spent an entire day trying to get SOMETHING to work on my desktop.

era86
July 27th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Life

ubuntu

It plays a small role in my life, so so much more out there to affect it in good and bad ways.

Buying stuff
breathing fresh air
meeting people
helping people
eating an Apple
Buying an Apple
Skipping a stone
etc
etc
etc

Oh and watching grass grow.

lol how is this gibberish relevant to the thread?

Best Moment - Getting Beryl installed and seeing the cube work for the first time.
Worst Moment - Getting Beryl installed and watching my laptop melt.

KiwiNZ
July 27th, 2011, 09:27 PM

Best Moment - Getting Beryl installed and seeing the cube work for the first time.
Worst Moment - Getting Beryl installed and watching my laptop melt.

If the Thread title was "Best and worst Ubuntu moment in your computer experience" then yes my post would be irrelevant.

However, the title is "Best and worst Ubuntu moment in your life" ,therefore, I am illustrating that ubuntu does not rate high in my 'life' events and thus my post is relevant.

era86
July 27th, 2011, 09:32 PM
If the Thread title was "Best and worst Ubuntu moment in your computer experience" then yes my post would be irrelevant.

However, the title is "Best and worst Ubuntu moment in your life" ,therefore, I am illustrating that ubuntu does not rate high in my 'life' events and thus my post is relevant.

Ah I understand. None and none would have sufficed, but you're really deep. :D

Erik1984
July 27th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Best moment: Just one of those moments you are very happy with the system you have running, stable, easy on your computer and enabling you to get things done.
Worst moment: Realizing that you have now become a little obsessed with the operating system itself and read news about it, post on forums about it etc.

snowpine
July 27th, 2011, 09:46 PM
First time I used Ubuntu.
Last time I used Ubuntu.

trollolo
July 27th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Best moment: hey this boots up really fast!
Worst monents: wow no wireless drivers, oh and it won't recognize my ethernet cord, oh and my battery lasts 1/3rd as long on this OS vs windows, and now somehow compositing got disable and my dock no longer works, hey, this thing has no 3rd party support whatsoever?

urgh

linuxyogi
July 27th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Worst : I get a black screen after installing Natty.
Best : The rest of the time since Hardy.

LADmaticCA
July 27th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Worst: When I tried Ubuntu and Linux for the first time (8.10) and could not get full resolution on my monitor. Spent 3 days researching and trying things to find a solution.

Best: When I found the solution! Had I not found it,I would not have discovered the great open source applications, the many distros, or the overall joy of using GNU/Linux.

ninjaaron
July 27th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Worst moment: When I installed it the first time, and I didn't really know what I was doing, and I formatted all my data (without backup for all but the most essential stuff on a 1GB USB). Booted to my new environment, and the wifi and sound were broken. It was a laptop, and I didn't have easy access to an ethernet port, so it took me a week to resolve the issues.

Best Moment: Every time I boot a computer and use it successfully without even thinking about the OS. Perhaps some of the highlights have been in the past year, with integration of Ubuntu One, taking my netbook to school, taking notes, and having them all automatically sync with my home-computer before I even get back. Cloud computing is seriously awesome, and Ubuntu has lead the way in terms of desktop integration (though, Apple inevitably took the idea and made it better, and I mean no offence. The way Apple perfects things really drives the interface industry. They push refinement and innovation more than any other major company, and It's good that the Linux community has more than MS to keep us on our toes).

JustinR
July 27th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Best: Installing it on other's computers and seeing that it excels in areas where Windows can't.
Worst: Bugs in software - specifically nVidia updates.

Lucradia
July 27th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Best: When I found out about openbox + stalonetray + nitrogen + PCManFM (Note, in ubuntu repos, PCManFM/2 doesn't have a desktop section. Only in Debian.)

Worst: When I found out how commercial Canonical really was. Unity, and other things.

Bandit
July 28th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Best Ubuntu moment of my life was when I puposed Trans Warp Theory.
Worst Ubuntu moment was when Montgomery Scott beat me to it..
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050702223224/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/e/e2/Montgomery_Scott%2C_2369.jpg/292px-Montgomery_Scott%2C_2369.jpg

ninjaaron
July 28th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Worst: When I found out how commercial Canonical really was. Unity, and other things.

Let's hate everything mainstream. That'll send our indie-cred through the roof.

3Miro
July 28th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Worst: I got lots of sound issues with 9.04, 9.10 was OK though.
Best: Hm... when I realized how much easier writing my dissertation is on Linux vs my thesis on Windows ... or when I discovered compiz

Those are different so I have to call it apples and oranges.

lisati
July 28th, 2011, 01:52 AM

There are many things in life that we take for granted, including life itself. Several of us here could "wax lyrical" about the tough stuff that has happened to us, how we survived, and how we're still here.

My best computer-related Ubuntu moment was finally succeeding at installing Ubuntu the first time. The worst was probably the initial struggle to get things working.

There have been many adventures both computer related and in real life which could be related here since my first installation of an OS other than the one which came with my machine.

wolfen69
July 28th, 2011, 02:10 AM
My best moment is when I discovered ubuntu, and my worst is when I accidentally wiped out 35,000 mp3's. (misuse of dd command, not ubuntu's fault)

SoulTechnologist
July 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM
My best moment is when I discovered ubuntu, and mt worst is when I accidentally wiped out 35,000 mp3's. (misuse of dd command, not ubuntu's fault)
Ouch! This hurts...

There have been many adventures both computer related and in real life which could be related here since my first installation of an OS other than the one which came with my machine.
As long as you want to share experiences I would gladly listen, installing and booting a new OS for the first time is an adventure itself, to me it is both computer and life related. The challenge and emotions of every beginning are pure life feelings. And life rocks!!!:guitar:

SoFl W
July 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Best experience: Always finding great open source software that fits my needs.

Worst experience: This is with Linux in general; I take the time to learn something, if it is setting up a server/server options, writing a script, changing some options from the command line, whatever. Once it is done I don't have to worry or think about it again. Why is that bad? Because if I have to do it on a new machine, or after I perform a fresh install on an old machine I need to learn all those things again because I have forgotten how to do them.
Now I just keep a list of "Things that I need to do on new installs/upgrades" and that makes things easier.

rg4w
July 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Worst: hunting down everything I needed to install R from the command line.
Best: Discovering that I never needed to do that because R is in the Ubuntu Software Center. ;)

grautskaahl
July 29th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Best moment: switching to 11.04 and getting wireless back.
Worst moment: when grub disappeared for the first time. I had no idea what it meant, so I assumed the only thing to do would be to wipe the drive and re-install both Windows and Ubuntu... I had backups of the most important things, but the trickiest thing was actually to get my music back from my iPod, since it didn't recognize my computer after the re-install. God, I hate iTunes.

danyc05
July 29th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Worst- I bought a brand new ipod touch and found out it couldnt sync natively on ubuntu hopefully that is fixed in that future.

Best- Is when i installed vbox and was able to sync my ipod through there lol i thought i wasted like 200 dollars for nothing..

PC_load_letter
July 29th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Best moment: While there are quite a few, the best one is that I was able to recover a 1GB wav file in its entirety after I deleted it by mistake as I always use Shift+DEL. What made it it even more impressive is that the file was stored on my Windows NTFS partition, granted it maybe was 'easier' to recover such file but I was fairly impressed at the time :D

The worst: Loooong ago, probably while I was still on Feisty or Gutsy that I always ran into problems upgrading the nvidia proprietary drivers, losing X, no desktop showing, and I had to use the CLI commands to fix things, that was a nightmare.

weasel fierce
July 29th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Discovering linux through Ubuntu (Hoary Hedgehog) was certainly the best.

THe worst was spending an entire day on something back in the day, before finally realizing the reason it didn't work was that linux is case sensitive :)

hakermania
July 29th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Worst: Random freezes in 11.04
Best: First Program Made in Ubuntu for it

ScionicSpectre
July 29th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I think my best moment with Ubuntu was when Lucid Lynx came out. It showed me that there were designers in the community who cared about how we feel when we use our computers. I expect Unity's polish and stability in 12.04 will be my next best experience.

My worst experience was with Eye of Gnome, before they could play GIFs. Yep, number one worst experience, if I'm being honest.