PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Installation freezes at or before "allocate disk space"

nerocr
July 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM
This happens during the lubuntu installation. The freeze occurs before I even have a chance to partition anything. It has happened twice now. I'm assuming there might be a problem with the disk. The disk in this computer currently has windows XP installed on it with two ntfs partitions, I'm planning on reformatting/partitioning the whole thing.

I defragged and ran windows' chkdsk utility with no problems detected. The disk itself appears to be fine. I've never had any problems with corrupted files on this disk.

I also tested the installation cd for errors. It seems fine as well.

Also, the installation doesn't abruptly freeze, I can see performance degrade more and more as I move the mouse cursor, until it finally comes to a complete halt.

What could be causing this?

dino99
July 27th, 2011, 02:36 PM
here is how i make installation:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

nerocr
July 27th, 2011, 03:33 PM
here is how i make installation:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

Thanks. I might try this, but I'm hesistant about reformatting my entire disk. If I lose my windows install, I lose the very thing that allows me to come online for tech support. :)

Have you heard of this working of a similar problem? Partitioning a disk before the install, I mean.

edit: Also just tried the memory test and the install again. This time it didn't freeze completely, the UI was still somewhat responsive: I was able to move the cursor, it was just very choppy. If that is relevant at all?

nerocr
July 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I've tried swapping out my disk for another one. A western digital 500gb pata drive.

I've tried burning another lubuntu 11.04, as well as a lubuntu 10.10, and an ubuntu 11.04 cd.

None of them worked. Lubuntu 10.10 got me the furthest, it actually allowed me to select partitions, but as soon as the installation began, it froze at "detecting filesystems".

Is there an explanation? Could both of these disks be completely shot? They both appear to be usable.