PDA

View Full Version : IrfanView and browsing files

stephenhau
July 27th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Hi all,

I've managed to set up IrfanView in Wine, and have also set up file association according to this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine#Creating%20file%20associations).

When running in Windows, I can press the arrow keys in IrfanView to step through media files in the same directory.
Does anyone have any advice on how to make that same feature work in Ubuntu/Wine?

Set up:
IrfanView 4.28
Wine 1.3.25
Winetricks
Ubuntu 10.10

Stephen.

TransitMan
July 28th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Hi all,

I've managed to set up IrfanView in Wine, and have also set up file association according to this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine#Creating%20file%20associations).

When running in Windows, I can press the arrow keys in IrfanView to step through media files in the same directory.
Does anyone have any advice on how to make that same feature work in Ubuntu/Wine?

Set up:
IrfanView 4.28
Wine 1.3.25
Winetricks
Ubuntu 10.10

Stephen.

I have IrfanView installed on my machine via WINE but I have not set file associations like you pointed out.
I have no problem using IrfanView browsing my media files.
Also, I am using an older version of IrfanView, 3.60 as the newer one just bork themselves in WINE. You might want to consider dropping down to 3.60 and see if that helps.

stephenhau
July 29th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Hmm, that's a good point there.

So, if I drag and drop an image to IrfanView, I can browse through the directory using the arrow keys.
BUT, if I open an image using the file-association script, I can't browse the directory it shows file 0/0.

Anyone have any idea how I can make it work through file-association?

TransitMan
July 29th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Hmm, that's a good point there.

1. So, if I drag and drop an image to IrfanView, I can browse through the directory using the arrow keys.
2. BUT, if I open an image using the file-association script, I can't browse the directory it shows file 0/0.

3. Anyone have any idea how I can make it work through file-association?

1. Yes
2. Correct
3. Why are you making this more complicated than it needs to be?

stephenhau
July 31st, 2011, 01:34 PM
3. Why are you making this more complicated than it needs to be?

Curiosity and learning, that's all.

John-B
July 31st, 2011, 03:16 PM
stephenhau, I am using IrfanView 4.20 and with wine 1.2 the arrows work fine for selecting the next or previous file.
In wine configuration do you have the drive where the files are listed as a windows drive letter under the drive tab? If not, add one with the partition with your photos on and it should work...

stephenhau
August 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM

In wine configuration do you have the drive where the files are listed as a windows drive letter under the drive tab? If not, add one with the partition with your photos on and it should work...

Awesome, that fixed it! Thanks so much :)

frncz
August 1st, 2011, 11:52 AM
I can't figure out how to install irfanview from Wine.
I open iview430_setup.exe with wine after changing permissions, but nothing happens.
On the other hand, Xnview seems to do a lot of what irfanview does, and runs fine in Natty.
I just had to extract Xnview and open xnview.sh

Mike

stephenhau
August 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
I can't figure out how to install irfanview from Wine.
I open iview430_setup.exe with wine after changing permissions, but nothing happens.
On the other hand, Xnview seems to do a lot of what irfanview does, and runs fine in Natty.
I just had to extract Xnview and open xnview.sh

Mike

IrfanView needs a certain DLL file. Install WineTricks, then in WineTricks, go to
> Install an app
> IrfanView
It will then get the DLL, and automatically download and install IrfanView for you.