View Full Version : NPR (All Things Considered) on Software & Patent Trolls

neu5eeCh
July 26th, 2011, 10:27 PM
If you missed it this afternoon:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/07/26/138576167/when-patents-attack

A great report.

ninjaaron
July 26th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks for that. I shared it on twitter, facebook, and Google+. People should know this stuff.

disabledaccount
July 26th, 2011, 11:54 PM
What we have done to Capitalism is in every respect equivalent to what the former USSR did to Marxism. It has been perverted beyond any recognition of its legitimate purpose....maybe when (not if) Chinese will start to buy US patents (in addition to buying US debts) some peoples will finally wake up.

neu5eeCh
July 27th, 2011, 12:17 AM
...maybe when (not if) Chinese will start to buy US patents (in addition to buying US debts) some peoples will finally wake up.

Damned good point.

Copper Bezel
July 27th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Yeah, I heard this piece in the This American Life cut (and posted a link.) The scene interviewing the developer about his own patents ("They don't even make sense to me") was fairly illustrative.

And, of course, all of the fake address stuff was intriguing as well. Lest we begin to trust that these names we hear about in the news actually represent real people, you know. I guess this explains the i4[an]i case over MS's XML.

doas777
July 27th, 2011, 01:35 AM
great report! I've always liked all things considered.

Copper Bezel
July 27th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I'm just happy to see this issue finally touched on in a general-audience venue. It's an important issue, not just a geek-interest story.

KevinAlaska
July 28th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Here is a must listen to go with that NPR soundbite. This link is a much more detailed and horrible example of human greed/evil. It is from a show also on NPR called "this American life"

Pretty amazing what we are capable of for the bill... :(

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/441/when-patents-attack

Please take the time to listen to it. You will be disgusted and oddly enlightened.

Kind Regards

PS... I should point out that you should listen to the second part of this report. The first part is the same one that was broadcasted on NPR - All things considered.