PDA

View Full Version : Does Ubuntu's future really lie in touch devices?

xxnishantxx
July 26th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Both Ubuntu Unity and Gnome Shell aim to be moving towards the touchscreen market, and that means tablets and phones, mostly. now the way I see it, the tablet market already has two powerful forces competing, iOS and Android (which is Linux-based anyway).
So, my question is, is it really worth the effort to model these interfaces towards touchscreen use, when surely it requires, at some level, compromising features that would have made perfect sense in a pointer-based interface, but were omitted in favour of more "touch friendly" alternatives (For example, overlay scrollbars only make things more difficult for desktop use). Seriously, I don't see either of these replacing Android or iOS, as these are already quite evolved in their areas, and Ubuntu really would't be bringing anything new.
Please share your thoughts :)

ajgreeny
July 26th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Surely touch screen technology is useful only for either small screens, (pads or phones), or for really large, wall sized screens in front of a large number of people, such as school classes, where huge arm movements could potentially be a teaching aid.

I can see no possible use of it for a desktop computer with a standard ~20in screen, or a laptop with 15 - 16in screen, where the pointer from a small touchpad or mouse makes a lot more sense.

ninjaaron
July 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Mark Shuttleworth has specifically and repeatedly stated that Unity, though it incorporates certain features that make it more usable on smaller screens, is not aimed at the mobile market. Canonical, though they are watching the mobile OS market, has no immediate strategy for entering it. There is the utouch project, which aims at improving gesture support for Ubuntu, but it's still in it's infancy.

As someone who runs Unity on a netvertible, functioning either as a netbook or as a tablet PC, I can tell you that Unity is absolutely not optimised for touchscreens by default. The inlay scrollbars in particular are terrible on a touchscreen. A touchscreen needs drag scrolling. The inlay scrollbars are positively infuriating on a touchscreen, since the target area is very small, and very easy to miss. On the other hand, I find them delightful when I am working with a trackpad or mouse, since I normally use the scroll-wheel or two-finger scrolling, and the inlay saves space. Of course, Unity does provide many features that improve the user-experience on a small screen.

That said, if Ubuntu were to target the mobile market, which they are not as of yet, I think it would be a good decision. Desktop computing isn't disappearing any time soon, but a larger and larger portion of the casual computing market is moving towards mobility, with the revival of the netbook (now called the 'ultra-portable PC') and the rise of the tablet and the smartphone, not to mention the integration of feature-rich OSes into all sorts of readers and PMPs.

So the market is there, and it's growing, both for netbooks and touch devices. That market becomes increasingly important as desktop sales decline, which they have been for the past few years. In our technology driven world, evolve or die is the name of the game. Android is there, and while there is some Linux buried deep inside, it's more or less a Java machine (Just ask Oracle, who is trying to sue Google for $2B). Try getting your normal Linux bins to run in there. Meego, on the other hand, is just about as "Linux" as you can get. I'm pretty sure you can install RPMs right in there, and, on the other hand, I've installed some of the Meego mobile apps directly into my Ubuntu-powered tablet PC.

Obviously Ubuntu isn't ready to enter the portable market yet (aside from netbooks). They have no product. However if they had, I think the market would be large enough that people would use it. It's a platform that already has tons of applications, and the only real burier would be getting developers to include features to help with touch, or to compile touch-optimised versions of their programs. I think, when the dev community starts making mobile linux apps, Ubuntu could carve out a niche in the market.

That said, the desktop paradigm (including the larger laptop) is still a very important platform, and I don't see it disappearing for a while. The question is, should Ubuntu work on perfecting the experience on that one platform, or should it branch out.

I actually believe that branching out would be much more effective for their overall goals. People want interface stability in their desktop OS. They do more complicated and software-specific tasks there. On the other hand, nobody is playing Crysis or doing graphic design on their phone or tablet. People don't use their mobile devices in the areas where Linux is weak.

So what do people expect from mobile devices?
Stability (can't crash all the time)
Connectivity, mostly to Internet, but also at times to network servers.
Optimised performance out of low-powered hardware.
Social network integration
Cloud connectivity, recently

These are all the areas in which Linux, especially Ubuntu, excels. The mobile platform is, in short, the perfect place for Linux to build mainstream credibility with average computer users, much more so than on the desktop. However, the desktop and the server would be able to cash in on that reputation.

So as a business strategy, yes, I think touch devices are an excellent way for Ubuntu to get a real breakthrough to the mainstream. Can canonical feasibly develop another platform in conjunction with the desktop? I don't know. Should they drop the desktop to pursue the mobile market? Absolutely not. They already have a product.

However, if they can develop a good mobile interface, they should. The meego apps are already there, ready to be used, and the core needs of the mobile user are the core strengths of Ubuntu.

ninjaaron
July 26th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I can see no possible use of it for a desktop computer with a standard ~20in screen, or a laptop with 15 - 16in screen, where the pointer from a small touchpad or mouse makes a lot more sense.

Dell is making a lot of those. ASUS is also doing some. I find if very natural to use the touchscreen on my laptop, often more natural than the mouse.

Syndicalist
July 27th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Unity is made for touch pads, but Mark cant say that or he wont be able to test it on you first. It needs to be "targeted" to the Ubuntu testing grounds, and refined there. Then it can shift focus to mobile devices where it will be able to make more money by supporting hardware and cloud software.

KiwiNZ
July 27th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Unity is made for touch pads, but Mark cant say that or he wont be able to test it on you first. It needs to be "targeted" to the Ubuntu testing grounds, and refined there. Then it can shift focus to mobile devices where it will be able to make more money by supporting hardware and cloud software.

Do you have evidence to back this claim?

Copper Bezel
July 27th, 2011, 08:41 AM
The only grand hidden agenda I see is the stated one, that new features, as they roll in, will at least work with touch interface concepts alongside pointing-device ones. And that close-min-max cluster is going to have to go before Unity counts as touch-optimized.

Syndicalist
July 27th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I should probably add that it was my opinion and conjecture that Unity was designed for tablets and tablet like devices, possibly including hybrid laptops....

It doesnt really bring anything awesome to the table for desktops....Enabling Compiz by default, or using the E17 Window Manater with Nautilus and Gnome panel instead of what you usually get, would give you a LOT more eye candy than what Unity offers.

The only thing I see that Unity brings to the table is a touch interface that is dumbed down for "smartphones" and touch tablets. The regular start menu is still superior for the desktop.

That and commentary about how tablets will be the future of Ubuntu....You dont need to be a rocket scientist to put two and two together, that Unity will be aimed at Tablets AFTER the bugs are ironed out......but the rest is conjecture based on common sense.

And you are of course free to disagree.

SoulTechnologist
July 27th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Obviously Ubuntu isn't ready to enter the portable market yet (aside from netbooks). They have no product. However if they had, I think the market would be large enough that people would use it. It's a platform that already has tons of applications, and the only real burier would be getting developers to include features to help with touch, or to compile touch-optimised versions of their programs. I think, when the dev community starts making mobile linux apps, Ubuntu could carve out a niche in the market.

I would surely love to have Ubuntu on my Mobile! Plus, I'm sure they're monitoring the market, they know that Ubuntu users are evangelists and I think that if well planned and developed, it could easily compete with Android and iOs.

xxnishantxx
July 27th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I would surely love to have Ubuntu on my Mobile! Plus, I'm sure they're monitoring the market, they know that Ubuntu users are evangelists and I think that if well planned and developed, it could easily compete with Android and iOs.

i would think that tablet manufacturers wouldn't take too well to using Ubuntu as the OS for their products as it doesn't have apps that are touchscreen oriented. and developers probably wouldn't develop a lot of apps of this kind until there is at least some significant market share taken by Ubuntu. Seriously, what advantage would Ubuntu have over the already established Android, that was touchscreen oriented from the start? I think the way Canonical is taking Ubuntu is sacrificing a loyal user-base for a false dream. Instead of taking pointer-based, desktop-oriented
technologies forward, they are merging everything into the touchscreen model, which already has an established open project in the market.

SoulTechnologist
July 27th, 2011, 03:11 PM
[...]which already has an established open project in the market.
I'm still not getting why should Android be the ONLY open project in the market?
I don't see the connection between Android and what it is (and I speak as user and estimator) and the total lack for future Ubuntu possibilities...

xxnishantxx
July 27th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I'm still not getting why should Android be the ONLY open project in the market?
I don't see the connection between Android and what it is (and I speak as user and estimator) and the total lack for future Ubuntu possibilities...

don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that the Ubuntu's future in touch devices is impossible. I'm just saying that it's quite difficult (because it will have to replace Anroid), and shouldn't mean compromising everything else. I mean, it's suddenly as if no one owns a big monitor anymore. why in hell would I want the titlebar, menubar and the Panel all crammed into one if I have enough screenspace?

Nightstrike2009
July 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Having seen designs for the proposed Windows 8, I do understand the need for BOTH desktop and touchscreen interfaces, but not in one or the other.

I do not intend to buy a touch screen monitor (even though I own a touchscreen phone (android based) and a Nintendo 3DS. I feel it is important to support both options to please the maximum amount of users, driver support however is probably a nightmare for linux touchscreens, I guess!

trollolo
July 27th, 2011, 06:33 PM
tablets are a joke, and i'm shocked that the industry hasn't come to terms with this. Need something to email on the go? Get a smartphone.

If it can't fit in your pocket, it might as well be a full on laptop.

RiceMonster
July 27th, 2011, 06:54 PM
tablets are a joke, and i'm shocked that the industry hasn't come to terms with this. Need something to email on the go? Get a smartphone.

I agree.

SoulTechnologist
July 27th, 2011, 07:37 PM
why in hell would I want the titlebar, menubar and the Panel all crammed into one if I have enough screenspace?
Well this is a very good point. And evolution means to get out of a shell, which is usually a painful process. No one expects the jump to be an easy one ;)

KiwiNZ
July 27th, 2011, 07:45 PM

And they are laughing all the way to the bank. And the owners of said joke are laughing at all those who cannot afford one.;)

RiceMonster
July 27th, 2011, 08:03 PM
And they are laughing all the way to the bank. And the owners of said joke are laughing at all those who cannot afford one.;)

The thing is though, I don't understand exactly what they offer. My mom has an iPad, and I've used it a lot. Yeah, it was cool at first playing some of the games on the big touch screen, but the novelty wore off. Even then, I didn't see why I should get one when I have a laptop and an iPhone.

Maybe a lot of people enjoy them, and that's fine, but I don't get the appeal myself.

SoulTechnologist
July 27th, 2011, 08:09 PM
When my bank account see Tablets prices, it immediately starts crying. In the meanwhile tablets price tags usually start laughing at my bank account.;)

KiwiNZ
July 27th, 2011, 08:13 PM
The thing is though, I don't understand exactly what they offer. My mom has an iPad, and I've used it a lot. Yeah, it was cool at first playing some of the games on the big touch screen, but the novelty wore off. Even then, I didn't see why I should get one when I have a laptop and an iPhone.

Maybe a lot of people enjoy them, and that's fine, but I don't get the appeal myself.

I never assume why it is good for others but for me .......

1. Damm great for watching movies or reading on a plane, something I do monthly.
2. Best Chart reader for my boat using the Navionics Chart App, and cheapest,Ipad $1,000
dedicated chart reader $2500 - $5,000
3.Easiest transportable mobile PC for use on my Wheelchair.
4. Interoperability with my IMac, MacBook, Apple TV and Stereo system.
5. Its bloody cool.

ninjaaron
July 27th, 2011, 11:01 PM
The only thing I see that Unity brings to the table is a touch interface that is dumbed down for "smartphones" and touch tablets. The regular start menu is still superior for the desktop.Power users have favored the instant search paradigm (in programs like gnome-do, synaptic, and quicksilver) over the start menu for quite some time now. This is essentially what the Unity's app launcher is, and it is impossible to use without a keyboard. It has nothing to do with touch.

I would surely love to have Ubuntu on my Mobile!Not at this stage you wouldn't! It's a terrible touch-only interface right now without major tweaking (I had to write something like 15 scripts just to get it to behave the way I wanted, and there are still things that don't work right).

i would think that tablet manufacturers wouldn't take too well to using Ubuntu as the OS for their products as it doesn't have apps that are touchscreen oriented.Meego has a fair number of mobile, touch oriented apps, and compiling them for Ubuntu would be a snap. I already run one of the mobile browsers from Meego on my Ubuntu netvertible. It works wonderfully.

If it can't fit in your pocket, it might as well be a full on laptop.While I sort of agree with you personally, the market tells a different story. Not that I want one, but most tablets are smaller, lighter and thinner than even the smallest netbooks and fit easily into a medium-sized bag. In addition, they are held in the hand, so they are easy to manipulate while standing or even walking. A laptop requires a surface or at least a sitting position. Tablets also make great readers, which laptops do not, and phones aren't great either. Admittedly, a dedicated e-ink reader is better for the job, but they aren't good for much else.