PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble Installing.

lovegun154
July 26th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Hi everybody, I've been using Ubuntu on this old computer for over a year and despite some frustration, It's proven to be efficient and works fairly well on this old hardware.

Almost 1 year ago I got a new computer with Windows 7. Unfortunately, it doesn't boot to Windows anymore, so instead of paying somebody to fix it I figured I'll just clear out Windows and put Ubuntu on it.

So I make myself a boot disk with the latest version of Ubuntu on a USB stick. I plug it in and begin the installation process it all goes well for a while. The problem occurs when I click on the install option and as soon as I get to the partitioning menu (I guess that's what you'd call it) where I guess it is supposed to show a list of drives that you can install Ubuntu on, nothing shows up and I cannot install. Oddly enough the screen before that I had more than enough space to install it, yet my hard drive doesn't seem to show up on the menu.

Also, when I click the try option, my hard drive shows up with all my documents from Windows in the places menu. When I try installing from the Ubumtu Trail Desktop, I get an error message.

So I'm stuck, and I'd like to remedy that. Any help would be appreciated, and I apologise if I didn't use enough tech talk.

JASONFUSARO
July 26th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Hi everybody, I've been using Ubuntu on this old computer for over a year and despite some frustration, It's proven to be efficient and works fairly well on this old hardware.

Almost 1 year ago I got a new computer with Windows 7. Unfortunately, it doesn't boot to Windows anymore, so instead of paying somebody to fix it I figured I'll just clear out Windows and put Ubuntu on it.

So I make myself a boot disk with the latest version of Ubuntu on a USB stick. I plug it in and begin the installation process it all goes well for a while. The problem occurs when I click on the install option and as soon as I get to the partitioning menu (I guess that's what you'd call it) where I guess it is supposed to show a list of drives that you can install Ubuntu on, nothing shows up and I cannot install. Oddly enough the screen before that I had more than enough space to install it, yet my hard drive doesn't seem to show up on the menu.

Also, when I click the try option, my hard drive shows up with all my documents from Windows in the places menu. When I try installing from the Ubumtu Trail Desktop, I get an error message.

So I'm stuck, and I'd like to remedy that. Any help would be appreciated, and I apologise if I didn't use enough tech talk.

Since you no longer wish to have windows installed have you tried running Gparted and formating it? Actually any disk partitioning tool?

lovegun154
July 26th, 2011, 06:07 PM
No I just figured I would click the "erase and use entire hard disk" option when I installed Ubuntu. That's what I did when I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on the older computer.

JASONFUSARO
July 26th, 2011, 06:19 PM
No I just figured I would click the "erase and use entire hard disk" option when I installed Ubuntu. That's what I did when I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on the older computer.

Maybe you should give them a try and see what results you come up with.

Disk utility will allow you to run tests on the drive itself, and you can visually see whats up?