PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install a program package ?

AlexeySol
July 26th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Hello,

I know how to use the Software Center, and it's great.

But the program I wanted to install now is not available via this tool, unfortunately.

It's AVIRA AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus für Linux 3.1.3.5, freeware for personal use.

I downloaded the package (gz archive), but I don't know how to get the program to install.

There is a large install text file within the archive, but clicking on "Execute" does not execute anything, apparently.

I hope you can help me, I got a multiboot installation (Windows x86, Windows x64 and Ubuntu x64) and want to scan my Windows drives for virusses with Ubuntu ! :sad:

lisati
July 26th, 2011, 10:30 AM
There is a large install text file within the archive, but clicking on "Execute" does not execute anything, apparently.

Is the "install" file a text file with instructions?

AlexeySol
July 26th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Is the "install" file a text file with instructions?

No, it contains many many pages of computer code. I tried to copy it and paste it into the Terminal, but nothing happens after pasting it there and clicking Enter.

AlexeySol
July 26th, 2011, 10:42 AM
It's the program you can download here, from the site of CHIP, a German computer magazine:

http://www.chip.de/downloads/AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus-fuer-Linux_23188958.html

I don't understand why it's not available via the Software Center, since it's a very popular and freeware program.

pommie
July 26th, 2011, 11:04 AM
There is a file called README in the folder, in that text it states,

install <- install script

simply double click the "install" file and "Run in Terminal" if that doesn't work then you will have to open a terminal, navigate your way into the folder and run it from there.

Should be .... sh ./install

If that command is wrong someone will correct me fairly quickly, I didn't try it as I do not want to install it.

Cheers David

Edit:- It will never be in the repo's, its not foss, also if you do read the license agreement it is very restrictive in its use, so while it is free to use its not free in the Linux sense (foss).

AlexeySol
July 26th, 2011, 11:11 AM
When I click on it and chose "Run in Terminal", the Terminal pops up for a split-second and closes right down again. Nothing else happens. Program does not install ! :(

fdrake
July 26th, 2011, 11:33 AM
When I click on it and chose "Run in Terminal", the Terminal pops up for a split-second and closes right down again. Nothing else happens. Program does not install ! :(

open the terminal in the same directory(right click and open terminal), and type:

sh ./install

post here the output