PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Where do I find my blurred image? [ConvolveOp in Java]

skytreader
July 26th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Hello. I'm trying out some simple image blurring in Java. I currently have the following code:

public class ImageBlurring{
public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception{
float[] kernelData = {0.111f, 0.111f, 0.111f,
0.111f, 0.111f, 0.111f,
0.111f, 0.111f, 0.111f};
ConvolveOp bio = new ConvolveOp(new Kernel(3, 3, kernelData));
BufferedImage forBlurring = ImageIO.read(new File("testimages/blurtest.JPG"));
BufferedImage blurred = ImageIO.read(new File("testimages/blurred.JPG"));
BufferedImage blurOut = bio.filter(forBlurring, blurred);
}
}

Uhmm...I'm really new here so my set-up is like this: blurtest.JPG is the image I want to blur; blurred.JPG is an exact copy of blurtest.JPG---I wish it to contain the blurred version of blurtest.JPG but it is not yet blurred.

So, I run my little command line program and all seem to go fine. However, I can't find the my blurred image anywhere. blurred.JPG is not blurred and nothing happened to blurtest.JPG as well . So...where do I find it?

P.S. Maybe my image is too textured for me to notice the blur that took place? I'm using an image of a coral. Does the image's texture affect blurring?

PaulM1985
July 26th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Your code reads in two images, but doesn't write anything out. If you don't write out, you won't see any changes.

Paul

EDIT:
I usually do:

BufferedImage blurred = bio.filter(forBlurring, null);

so it is clear that we have created "blurred" from "forBlurring". After doing this, you want to write out the "blurred" variable.

skytreader
July 26th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I usually do:

That's was my first attempt, seeing that filter throws an Exception if src is null but not when dst is null :D. However, when nothing happened, I wrote it as I posted above, following the tutorial I'm working on.

But...uhmmm...how do you write out an image? All I found on the web was http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/2d/images/saveimage.html which needs a RenderedImage object (with the note that BufferedImage implements RenderedImage). What RenderedImage do I instantiate? The example uses BufferedImage, instantiated by call to a method getMyImage() which, as far as I can tell, is more of a pseudo-method than an actual API call.

Thanks!

PaulM1985
July 26th, 2011, 11:46 AM
That's was my first attempt, seeing that filter throws an Exception if src is null but not when dst is null :D. However, when nothing happened, I wrote it as I posted above, following the tutorial I'm working on.

But...uhmmm...how do you write out an image? All I found on the web was http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/2d/images/saveimage.html which needs a RenderedImage object (with the note that BufferedImage implements RenderedImage). What RenderedImage do I instantiate? The example uses BufferedImage, instantiated by call to a method getMyImage() which, as far as I can tell, is more of a pseudo-method than an actual API call.

Thanks!

ImageIO.write(bi, "png", outputfile);

This line from your link is saving a buffered image "bi" to an output file "outputFile". In your original code, you have both a buffered image and an output file.

ImageIO.write(blurred, "png", (new File("testimages/blurred.JPG"));