PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Offline gmail on Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bit)

cpbl
July 26th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Hello. Does anyone out there have, or know how to get, offline gmail working under an up-to-date ubuntu system?

Thanks!
c

e79
July 26th, 2011, 01:04 AM
You can use Evolution mail to set up your GMail account and use the option to 'copy content locally for offline operation'

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingGmailWithEvolution

Hope this helps

cpbl
July 26th, 2011, 06:58 PM
You can use Evolution mail to set up your

Gmail offers an "offline" service that runs in a browser and plays the normal roles of an (offline) mail client, but with identical interface to Gmail's online one.

I know how to set up other local mail clients, but that is not what this question is about. Gmail's offline service does not work on all browser version, etc, and I am no longer able to set it up.

cpbl
October 5th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Actually, Google stopped supporting its offline service for a while. Now it's back. Install chromium-browswer (or google-chrome if you prefer) and under your gmail preferences choose to turn on offline service. It will say it's not offered for your system (or at least, it did for me); ignore that, proceed, and you will be offered to install a separate (far inferior to what was offered before) ap for offline.
Alternatively, just go to Google's ap store in chrom(ium) and search for offline.
These are only offered on chromium / chrome, now.

Lars Noodén
October 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM
In addition to Evolution, you can also access your mail offline in Thunderbird.