PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite Android apps?

akand074
July 26th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Hey guys,

I don't tend to browse and download new apps anymore. Often when I see people who have an Android phone they show me a bunch of cool new apps some of which I end up getting. So basically, the point of this thread is to post a list of your favourite Android apps so that I/others can look into them.

Personally some of my favourites are(not including google apps):
Pulse news - Best news app ever, can connect tonnes of news feeds through it
ES file explorer - Best file manager, with support for LAN/FTP and just about everything
Jefit - great if you work out
Akinator - pretty funny how often it gets it right
Dolphin Browser HD - Best browser I've ever used personally. Anyone else have favourites?
Zedge - great background/ringtone app
Fancy Widgets - I like it better than beautiful widgets personally

markp1989
July 26th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I quite like:

Notify my android - for sending push notifications to your mobile, has a very easy to use API available for it, on their site there are many scripts available for it on their website.

Juice defender ultimate - this has easily doubled my battery life on mine.

Trillian - multi protocol IM client.

transdroid - torrent front end, I use it to connect to my deluge machine to monitor my downloads.

Juiceplotter - for graphing battery usage.

helauncher2 - home replacement app, pretty light weight.
Im sure I will think of some more soon, I will post back when i do.

akand074
July 26th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Oh yeah I currently use GoLauncher. I really like it mostly because of the built in task manager. ADW is nice too, super smooth, but the task manager in GoLauncher is just too convenient.

BeRoot ReBoot
July 26th, 2011, 02:35 AM
HandyCalc - the best scientific calculator for Android.
Wolfram|Alpha - actually just a fancy interface for the website, but comes with a keyboard that makes it easy to input complex formulae, and presents the results much more legibly than the mobile browser.
IP Webcam - lets you use your phone as a webcam through wifi.
Tiny Flashlight - use your camera LED flash as a torch
ConnectBot - SSH/Telnet client. Administrate your servers from outside the basement! (hardware keyboard recommended, but not strictly necesarry)

PhillyPhil
July 26th, 2011, 08:41 AM
CifsManager: for mounting my samba media server locally to watch my videos on my phone (need a Cifs module in your OS though)

Opera Mobile: great browser, automatically arranges text on pages to fit screen.

QuickPic: awesome image/gallery viewer, and FAST.

haqking
July 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Juice defender

Drag Racing (a game not an app, but has seriously affected the time i spend on the toilet)

chess.com

Documents to go

jhonan
July 26th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Drag Racing (a game not an app, but has seriously affected the time i spend on the toilet)
It gives you stomach problems?

haqking
July 26th, 2011, 12:10 PM
It gives you stomach problems?

;-) more a reason to not remove myself from a comfortabole spot whilst playing a game that is addicitve

on that note i will end with the toilet humour

chegarty
July 26th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I have some specific criteria for an Android app to be my favorite. It has to have the following qualities:

1) It has to do what it says on the box. There are lots of Android applications that don't do this.

2) Minimal memory footprint.

3) It closes when I want it to close.

Pulse: News reader! It's not infinitely flexible, but it's certainly pretty and it's easy to make lists of sources.

Opera Mobile: I find it smoother and faster than Dolphin HD, but your mileage may vary. I've noticed that browsers have a wide range of behavior across devices.

Ringdroid: It allows you to make your own ringtones out of music files on your phone. It's a pretty old application, but it's nice if you want to cut some classical music up into a ringtone. (My mom's calling! Dies irae!)

twicca: I've used twicca since it was still in beta and it's really an amazing twitter app. It's very lightweight and supports plugins for a lot of things. It's very actively developed and the developer is incredibly responsive.

ADW Launcher EX: It's not free, but it brings a lot of flexibility to the Android experience. ADW is the reason my icons look like Ubuntu icons. This isn't a knock on LauncherPro or GoLauncher, which are both also excellent.

Titanium Backup: Necessary if you want to flash custom ROMs (there are other applications that do the same thing, but I've never had problems with TB).

ROM Manager Pro: Costs money, but indispensable for ROM users, especially if you're using nightly builds of CM7 or something like that.

Swiftkey X: Another one that'll cost you, but it's a really excellent keyboard. It is a bit of a memory hog, but its prediction skills are somewhat eerie at times.

There are a lot of turds on the Android Market, but there are a lot of excellent applications as well. :) I'll post more as they come to me.

aysiu
July 26th, 2011, 03:38 PM
These are what I'd recommend:

Angry Birds - fun!

arcMedia - can play pretty much any video file

AutoRotate Switch - quick way to turn autorotate off and on (long-hold the search button)

Documents to Go - free (with nagware) way to view Microsoft Office documents

Dolphin - best web browser (in my opinion--I know others like Opera or Skyfire, etc.)

Dropbox - doesn't actually sync, but a nice way to at least transfer files without having to be tethered

ES File Explorer - simple file browser but can also enable root mode to make root changes

Google Plus - very nice app, much smoother than the Facebook one

Juice Defender - easily doubles battery life in a safe way (not a task killer app)

Sound Manager - a way to turn down the obnoxiously loud camera shutter noise

Tip Calculator - calculates percentage and also how to split it among people

WordFeud - best Scrabble-like game, and much stabler than Words with Friends

fontis
July 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Snowstorm (great weather app)
Google+
Tweetcaster (for twitter, it's just awesome, imo the best twitter app for Android atm)
AndChat (irc client for android)
Epinephrine (MSN client)
Bubble Blast 2 (best game ever) :D

That's about it.

mamamia88
July 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM
greader pro, and google listen are the 2 i use the most.

IWantFroyo
July 26th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Rooted HTC Liberty running CM7.1 RC 1 (2.3.4)

-Clockwork Recovery (I know this isn't an app, but it's essential to me. I find it works much better than Titanium Recovery and ROM Manager.)

-Swiftkey X (I got this for free from Amazon Appstore. Sorry guys, it was a one day thing. :()

-Amazon Appstore (Free apps!!! :))

-Google Voice (I turned off my SMS plan from AT&T, and now I just use this to text as much as I want.)

-Pulse (My favorite RSS reader.)

forrestcupp
July 26th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Dolphin Browser HD

I used to use Dolphin, but I tried Opera Mobile and liked it a lot better. It seems to be smoother and have better features. I like having the navigation bar and how the tabs work. But either one is much better than the built in Google browser.

A few great apps:

Soundhound - detects songs playing and tells you what they are. If you are a good whistler, it can even detect some songs you whistle.

Google Goggles - take a picture of a logo on a sign, the cover of a book, even some famous landmarks, and it will scan it, figure out what it is, and bring up articles about it.

Barcode Scanner - scan a barcode and get information about the product. Especially good with 2D barcodes that are becoming more widespread for electronics.

Google Navigation - Awesome. Other than lacking a few features, like showing your speed and the posted speed limit, it's better than a Garmin. Viewing your map with satellite images is pretty cool.

YouVersion Bible App - great for reading a lot of different translations. Has a lot of reading plans you can follow.

aysiu
July 26th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Rooted HTC Liberty running CM7.1 RC 1 (2.3.4)

-Clockwork Recovery (I know this isn't an app, but it's essential to me. I find it works much better than Titanium Recovery and ROM Manager.)

-Swiftkey X (I got this for free from Amazon Appstore. Sorry guys, it was a one day thing. :()

-Amazon Appstore (Free apps!!! :))

-Google Voice (I turned off my SMS plan from AT&T, and now I just use this to text as much as I want.)

-Pulse (My favorite RSS reader.)
Gosh. How could I forget Google Voice? Google Voice is awesome.

I installed Swiftkey off the Amazon promotion, but I still prefer vanilla Gingerbread as a keyboard.

akand074
July 26th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I use a lot in common with a lot of people here. I use all the google apps which is why I didn't mention them. I use Swype for keyboard input, although I have tried Swiftkey X and like it a lot for a normal keyboard but I'm just so used to Swype and it's much better for one hand typing.

jcolyn
July 27th, 2011, 02:38 AM
YouVersion Bible App - great for reading a lot of different translations. Has a lot of reading plans you can follow.

Love it.. It even has my two favorite translations the NIV and NASB..

K-9 Mail
Dropbox
Tapatalk
Opera
eBay (the official one)

As a photographer my HTC Inspire has my now carry everywhere 8MP camera. I use Camera Zoom FX and for fun Vignette and Retro Camera Plus...

spcwingo
July 27th, 2011, 05:23 AM
I have a Samsung Continuum with ClockWorkMod, rooted/cleaned DL17 ROM, poweroff mod (with reboot, reboot to cwm, etc), and bash.

My faves are:

AndWobble - Makes parts that you pick in pictures wobble :D
Terminal - You know what this is.
Linda Manager - File Manager
Opera Mini - THE fastest browser for Android
Droid 2600 - Atari 2600 emulator
Market Enabler - Spoofs carrier/region in the market
AndSMB - To access my Ubuntu Samba server, of course
Linux Installer - The name says it all.
Connect Bot - To SSH into my file server and web server