PDA

View Full Version : Looking for C++ Programmers

Lordofsraam
July 25th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Project name: Navn
License: GPLv3+
Language: C++
Program Description: IRC Bot (and API)
Difficulty: Very Basic (if statements) - Very Complex (sockets and multithreading)
Summary:
I have a project my friend and I are working on (code-named Navn). It is a C++ IRC bot. It's a simple concept but it has a ton of potential and a lot of room to grow. We've already started and we have a couple of thousand lines of code laid down, and since we modularized it has been really easy to split up work. It has gotten to the point where it's so big that there's enough code for more than just the two of us, so I would really like more people to come in and contribute ideas and code.
Because we've made most of it into a sort of API, you don't need to know much C++, and if you do, we have some complex things you can work on too. We are also willing to teach you C++ along the way, so even if you just want to learn some more C++, feel free to join up.
If you are interested, PM me, reply to this post, or come chat with us at our IRC channel: http://flux-net.net/chat2/

Edit (as per request):
We do have a git repo, if anyone would like to check out the code ( https://gitorious.org/navn/navn/trees/Experimental )
And if you would like to see the bot in action, it is hosted 24/7 in the afore mentioned IRC channel.

schauerlich
July 26th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Do you have code to show us? Put it on launchpad or github.

Lordofsraam
July 26th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I edited the og to include our git repo

nvteighen
July 26th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Wait. Is this meant to be Free Software? I can't see any License notice or the like. Without a proper notice, your project is currently open source (in the sense that the source is known) but proprietary. This may drive people away (specially when posting in a forum like this one).

EDIT: My mistake, there's a little notice at Readme.txt stating that you're using GPLv3+. I think it's better to have a special COPYRIGHT file where you state the licensing terms (or a summary) for your code, plus whatever license notices of third-party stuff you may be required to include... and then also place some kind of licensing information on each source file.