PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] advice on starting a business

Zeta-K
July 25th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Don't really know where else to turn, so I figured some of the users of this site would have some knowledge.
I plan on starting a computer repair/upgrade/sales company In Idaho. Does anyone know either what licenses I need or where I go to find what licenses I need? Also, I'm a minor still (17). Google has been very unhelpful.

Thanks in advance.

bodhi.zazen
July 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Thread moved to Community market.

There is a ton to know about running a business , if you have questions contact the State of Idaho.

Zeta-K
July 25th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Thread moved to Community market.

There is a ton to know about running a business , if you have questions contact the State of Idaho.

That's actually the biggest problem I've been having. I don't know what to call. If I google the phone number for "State of Idaho licensing", I get hundreds of phone numbers and a lot of useless webpages for lawyers who I'd need to pay to get the information I need.

cdavid13
August 7th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I am not positive on the licensing you would need.

However I have a decent knowledge of different types of business and pros and cons. Alot will depend on how indepth you really want to go. I would not recommend doing any work until you get insurance, protect yourself you only get one name so don't ruin your reputation. There are many different types of business for you the easiest and cheapest will probably be a sole proprietorship. If you wish to be covered a little more I would look into a LLC (limited Liability Company). The insurance will be important for your clients that get upset when their pictures are lost after they get viruses. I would also go to your local library a Law library if you can find one at a public university will be best. there you can find a guide to writing contracts this will be important to limit your liability before you begin working on someones computer.

That is just a skim off the top of what you will need to do before you get started in the actual labor part. But don't let it overwhelm you, its good you are looking into moving your income into your own hands and not your boss's hands at 17. Lastly being a minor in the business world doesn't mean anything your just as liable as an adult and your just not taken as serious. Trust me I started a Landscaping company at 16 but stick in it and you find its well worth your time.

Hope it helps
-Chris