PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nVidia multi card/monitor display problem.

PyrexKidd
July 25th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I am attempting to use two nVidia graphics cards with Ubuntu 11.04 (Gnome) with three monitors.

This is a practically new install (I've only installed Conky and Remina, and run updates.)

I am using the following nVida cards:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF104 [GeForce GTX 460] (rev a1)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF104 [GeForce GTX 460] (rev a1)

I am able to run two or three monitors in no FX mode, however, using the nVidia configuration tool, I am unable to rotate my monitor 90 deg, so everything appears sideways. (I don't want to physically rotate my monitor as this would defeat the purpose of having a tall narrow monitor...)

I am happy to run in Ubuntu classic mode, but I want desktop effects...

I'm not opposed to installing nouveau, but haven't had any luck with that either.

I have attempted to get this configuration working on several different distributions with both Gnome2 and Gnome3 desktop environments.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments, are greatly appreciated. I honestly do not want to use Windows as a host machine and run Ubuntu as a VM, but if I can't use all of my monitors natively in Linux I may be forced to do so.

(I was able to use all 3 monitors using VirtualBox running in full screen mode running inside of Windows... this is really a bass ackwards way to do things though...)