PDA

View Full Version : Why developers re-created gnome but Enlightenment ?

papaapa
July 25th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hello!

I was thinking why the developers re-write the gnome desktop again... It will be better if they develope the best desktop Enlightenment...

What do you think about ?

Shpongle
July 25th, 2011, 06:45 PM
No , they are gnome developers . They would not just leave something they have been working on for years. enlightenment has its own development team. Also hypothetically speaking if they did they work on enlightenment they would probably wreck it judging by the gnome 3 controversy.

papaapa
July 25th, 2011, 06:53 PM
But Linux needs Enlightenment! Gnome re-writed from zero. Free-open source softwares lost their focus.. IF there is a very good one and it need to develop, must be develop !

DangerOnTheRanger
July 25th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I think you've missed one of the main advantages of FOSS software: Freedom of choice.

The fact that the GNOME and Enlightenment are separate projects means end-users have more choices about what DE they use, and thus they can choose the DE that suits them best. Plus, GNOME was not a re-write of Enlightenment - they started at almost the same time.

Other reasons that GNOME should not be combined with/absorbed into Enlightenment include:

GNOME is a full DE - Enlightenment is just a WM
Enlightenment was (until recently) not freedesktop.org-compatible

If anything, Enlightenment should be absorbed into GNOME, not the other way around.

papaapa
July 27th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I think you've missed one of the main advantages of FOSS software: Freedom of choice.

The fact that the GNOME and Enlightenment are separate projects means end-users have more choices about what DE they use, and thus they can choose the DE that suits them best. Plus, GNOME was not a re-write of Enlightenment - they started at almost the same time.

Other reasons that GNOME should not be combined with/absorbed into Enlightenment include:

GNOME is a full DE - Enlightenment is just a WM
Enlightenment was (until recently) not freedesktop.org-compatible

If anything, Enlightenment should be absorbed into GNOME, not the other way around.

I know about Freedom of choice :) Maybe i was wrong to say why gnome developers does not get the Enlightenment code to resume the project... I should ask why they don't improve the best choice of DM and they just stick on gnome-like desktop ? I mean because Gnome is easy to use, the developers improve it because the market share is always big... But Enlightenment is better than all other environments.. We all know that. But no one improve it.. Even canonical supports it officially! Some people use fluxbox because it is fast, fast people use kde because they have fast machine and they want use many features... But with Enlightenment you don't need to think that... Why we use Linux ? Because it works on many machines as it needs... Enlightenment give us the choise to select every feature that we have on desktop. But KDE,gnome and others can not do that. Everyone know how much flexible is Enlightenment.

The freedom of choice can be done inside on Enlightenment . But with gnome or KDE you can just change many thinks (not all thinks). Thats why im talking about...

Enlightenment İS A wm they develop also desktop environment modules which are very flexible...

Anyway i just can not understand why there is no support for Enlightenment ...

unknownPoster
July 27th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Anyway i just can not understand why there is no support for Enlightenment ...

The overwhelming majority of users use Gnome or KDE (I feel Unity is too new to be considered in this discussion.)

Why go out of your way to support something that only a small minority of users use?

LowSky
July 27th, 2011, 05:28 PM
If Enlightenment was so good it would be used by more popular. There I said it.

Allavona
July 27th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Enlightenment as a window manager is fantastic. Take a look at some of the enlightenment distros out there, most in the future will have KDE as the default DE, with E as its WM (Bodhi - for example).

Even MoonOS is straying from E as its primary, favoring Gnome instead.

The problem for minimalist DE/WM's is that with development they slowly approach the heavyweight class rendering them useless as minimalist.

papaapa
July 28th, 2011, 10:00 AM
If Enlightenment was so good it would be used by more popular. There I said it.

Right! Thats why windows market is very big. Windows is better from linux !!

Enlightenment i bets of WM . and also its modules for desktop environment are better even gnome and kde...

Paqman
July 28th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Hello!

I was thinking why the developers re-write the gnome desktop again... It will be better if they develope the best desktop Enlightenment...

What do you think about ?

This is a bit like asking why Toyota would bother to develop a new version of the Auris, when you think they should have made a new version of the Ford Focus.

They're made by different folks.

Peter09
July 28th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Well I'm jumping in with both feet in mouth here and say:

recognise that the menu driven interface is somewhat dated and inefficient. With the power of computers we have now we really can do better. The Dash (and one day I hope a tagged file system) utilise the power of the computer to find what we need. We should not need to go rummaging through lists any more - computers are good at doing that.

This is why many of the 'other' windows managers represent older concepts.

kaldor
July 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM
But Linux needs Enlightenment! Gnome re-writed from zero. Free-open source softwares lost their focus.. IF there is a very good one and it need to develop, must be develop !

And for me, that very good one is GNOME Shell :)

Depends on what you look for.

beastrace91
July 29th, 2011, 03:28 PM

Looking at the code under the GTK3 toolkit and the code under the EFL toolkit - you wouldn't say this ;)

~Jeff

hoppipolla
July 29th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Because Enlightenment isn't really that popular...

It's very pretty but... I don't like the development schedule or the obsession with looks over functionality or simplicity.

Gnome and KDE are obviously the top dogs... followed by maybe XFCE for lower end machines?

However, I tend to favour LXDE for older computers :)