PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] :cry:Ubuntu hangs on boot

Wolf_Fhang
July 25th, 2011, 06:41 AM
A few days ago i was fooling around with ATI graphics settings and was doing some updates for Ubuntu and after i went to reboot my Desktop it kept comming up with odd symbols instead of a log in screen, then i started to try and do things with a LiveCD and screwed things up even more :confused: so now any time i attempt to boot, even into recovery mode, it stops at the line

[ 2.573600] sd 6:0:0:3: [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk

i have tried to do multiple fixes with no avail and i am not very savvy with linux as i have only been using it under a year, so it would be awesome if anyone could help

this is 10.10 Maverick and the 32bit version, if you need more details i will be happy to help, also i am able to boot up Ubuntu with a Live CD

Thanks in advance

PS: this is a repost of my thread from the general help section

2F4U
July 25th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Do you remember what programs were updated? Maybe a kernel update after the installation of ATI drivers? Can you boot into a previous kernel?

Wolf_Fhang
July 25th, 2011, 07:29 PM
sadly i cant remember what the updates were, i was just doing whatever updates it told me except Wine and it wasnt updates for the ATI drivers i don't think im pretty sure it was other random Ubuntu updates,

thanks for actually replying and i'll give whatever other info i can

Wolf_Fhang
July 26th, 2011, 06:10 AM
considering after i looked into it a little it seems Busy Box booting up isnt always good so i'd like to mention i do see Busy Box start before the hang at the SCSI if that is any help

Wolf_Fhang
July 27th, 2011, 08:24 PM
well if no one knows what the problem is could someone at least walk me through how to mount my hard drive with a Live CD?

dreamslides
July 28th, 2011, 01:59 AM
well if no one knows what the problem is could someone at least walk me through how to mount my hard drive with a Live CD?

Don't you see it under the menu option?

Wolf_Fhang
July 28th, 2011, 02:43 AM
well that's the thing, i went on the Places menu and clicked it and it keeps giving me an error that it is busy and i even tried terminal commands to do it but nothing seems to make it mount, idk if it was just taking a while cause its a 300GB hard drive in my desktop

deconstrained
July 28th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Try holding down shift key after post, so that you can get into the grub menu. Look at the available kernels, and try booting into an older one if you can. Then you could try re-installing the new kernel/driver.

Wolf_Fhang
July 28th, 2011, 03:55 AM
well actually whenever i boot it goes into the Grub menu and so far whenever i tried any of the Kernels and the recovery modes it would not boot and kept hanging at the line i said in my original post

Wolf_Fhang
July 31st, 2011, 10:50 AM
so could anyone at least help me with the mounting of my desktop's hard drive from a live cd? if i cant fix it i wanted to get a few files i forgot to back up because they're semi important :/

SeijiSensei
July 31st, 2011, 02:02 PM
When the CD menu appears, try hitting F6 and choosing "nomodeset". After the X appears, hit Escape, then enter. This avoids some video issues that can hang boots.

Also, if you're using a USB CD drive, make sure it's connected to a USB 2.0 port.

I've encountered both these problems in the last couple of days while trying to boot an Ubuntu CD image on a new HP laptop with ATI graphics.

gbrowning
July 31st, 2011, 10:36 PM
Lucid
I installed an ATI 6850 HD. And have had nothing but problems since the very first boot attempt. After messing around with a few methods I have failed.

Current desktop environment is not satisfying. Machine boots and is fully functional but the display quality is terrible, vga and the wrong proportions.

lspci |grep vga returns
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 6739

Monitor is found to be "unknown" and the resolution is 1152 X 864, the monitor is really 1200X900

History:
Been running 10.4.3 64 bit. Replaced Video Card with HIS Radeon 6850HD. Installed the proprietary drivers using the guide listed above. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto. Catalyst reported an incompatible card. lspci |grep vga returned VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 6739 just as it is doing now.
I tried to remove the flgrx using the script on the guide and many error messages were returned so an attempt was made to remove the files manually. After a bit of surgery the machine failed to boot properly so I decided to upgrade to Maverick as the open source drivers were reported to work better.
I used the update and upgrade commands from the terminal.
Maverick failed to boot into GUI so I went ahead and tried to be Updated and Upgraded to Natty.
Total failure with the machine hanging so
Used 10.4.3 live CD to move files then tried to use 11.4 live CD to install clean system
11.4 would not install to the mucked up drive before I cleaned it. When it did install I lost keyboard and mouse......probably a separate issue but may have to do with video card interrupts.
Now I am back to a basic install of 10.4.3 and want to get the video card working properly.

Any tips?

edit
I was able to move through the GUI based upgrade and am now running Natty. The video card is being used properly. Finished this attempt minutes ago. Have not had time to dig into the whys of this.

Wolf_Fhang
August 1st, 2011, 07:14 AM
When the CD menu appears, try hitting F6 and choosing "nomodeset". After the X appears, hit Escape, then enter. This avoids some video issues that can hang boots.

Also, if you're using a USB CD drive, make sure it's connected to a USB 2.0 port.

I've encountered both these problems in the last couple of days while trying to boot an Ubuntu CD image on a new HP laptop with ATI graphics.

well that's the thing, its not the CD that hangs its the normal hard drive booting that hangs really

gbrowning
August 3rd, 2011, 04:49 AM
The hard drive you are booting from will not need to be mounted. I am using "Classic" and to reach the file system just click "places" then "Home" you should be able to navigate from there

If that is not possible try this

Open a terminal window. The terminal window is found under the "Applications" then " Accessories" then "Terminal"

Type the command "dmesg" to determine the device name of the hard drive you want to mount. Look for the line that mentions the name of your hard drive such as: hdd: IBM-DTLA-307020, ATA DISK drive
The device name for this disk drive would be "/dev/hdd."

Type the command "sudo mkdir /mnt/driveb" to create a directory where the contents of the hard drive can be accessed after it is mounted. You can replace "driveb" with any descriptive name.

Type the command "mnt /dev/hdd /mnt/driveb" to mount the hard drive. The contents of the drive will be accessible in the "/mnt/driveb" directory.

Type the command "exit" to close the root session

Hope this helps

Wolf_Fhang
August 3rd, 2011, 09:23 PM
The hard drive you are booting from will not need to be mounted. I am using "Classic" and to reach the file system just click "places" then "Home" you should be able to navigate from there

If that is not possible try this

Open a terminal window. The terminal window is found under the "Applications" then " Accessories" then "Terminal"

Type the command "dmesg" to determine the device name of the hard drive you want to mount. Look for the line that mentions the name of your hard drive such as: hdd: IBM-DTLA-307020, ATA DISK drive
The device name for this disk drive would be "/dev/hdd."

Type the command "sudo mkdir /mnt/driveb" to create a directory where the contents of the hard drive can be accessed after it is mounted. You can replace "driveb" with any descriptive name.

Type the command "mnt /dev/hdd /mnt/driveb" to mount the hard drive. The contents of the drive will be accessible in the "/mnt/driveb" directory.

Type the command "exit" to close the root session

Hope this helps

that's the thing, I'm booting from a live cd not my hard drive, im trying to access my hard drive from the live cd though so i will try what you said

Wolf_Fhang
August 3rd, 2011, 09:36 PM
that did not work, the dmesg line came back with no information about my drive and when i tried any of the things you said, the mnt command was not found and i was not able to do anything

Wolf_Fhang
August 3rd, 2011, 11:49 PM
nevermind, i wound up finding back ups of the files i need and i am just wiping the hard drive so i can re install the OS