PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing over top another linux distro??

BURGINABC
July 25th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I already have a dual-boot set-up of Windows 7 and Fedora, but fedora was acting screwy, and when I tried to install a proprietary Linux graphics card driver from the AMD/ATI website, It conked out completely. instead of reinstalling fedora, I thought I'd try Ubuntu. and I have a question.

Is there a full partition editor with the Ubuntu installer? Cause from what I saw on the main site, it sounded like the installer was a highly automated for the benefit of the masses, and assumed that prior to ubuntu installation you would have a Windows or Mac OSX partition taking up your entire hard drive, and would screw up for someone like me with a dual-boot already, instead of allowing me to replace Fedora with Ubuntu, would simply slice my already-shrunk Windows partition and ignore the Fedora partitions entirely. Or am I wrong? I hope I'm wrong because I want to replace Fedora with something more stable and likely to work properly with my hardware, but is still Linux.

IWantFroyo
July 25th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Ubuntu's Ubiquity installer (the default one) has both automated settings, and advanced settings.
-You can either have it replace Fedora,
-Use the entire disc,
-Use free space,
-Go into the editor and do it your own way (my recommendation)

Just remember if you use the editor-
~21gb root, ~2gb swap, and rest as home

BURGINABC
July 25th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Ok, so it does have an editor. Thanks, that's all I needed to know. Didn't mention it anywhere on the main site, so I was just making sure.