PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Forums 'R' Awesome

teejay17
July 24th, 2011, 11:04 PM
That's right, I think Ubuntu forums are awesome. Out of all the forums I belong to and participate in, I've spent the most time on here, and find the site the most useful as well.
I've been on here since 2006 already!

IWantFroyo
July 24th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I agree. This forum is wonderful.

I commonly use the Community Cafe, and if I post a question here, it generally gets answered very quickly.

This is also the most active forum I've ever seen. (Maybe I just don't know a lot of forums, but still).

sffvba[e0rt
July 25th, 2011, 12:01 AM
most forums suffer from either a few old users turning every thread into a circle-jerk, or nazi mode mods that will perma ban you for not using [spoiler] tags in your first post.

these forums aren't that active, don't know what you're so excited about.

I see you are working hard on living up to your name...

As for this forum... one of the reasons Ubuntu is the number one distro IMO...

Timmer1240
July 25th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I like these forums and the linux mint forums lots of good info and good help if needed!

el_koraco
July 25th, 2011, 12:45 AM
The users are cool, and you get great help. The moderation is freaking horrible.

XubuRoxMySox
July 25th, 2011, 12:54 AM
This community is awesomeness on steroids! And I think the Code of Conduct is one of the reasons for the great support, good humor, friendships, and fun.

We may disagree with how some mods enforce the CoC, but they are volunteers doing a largely thankless job when they could be doing something more fun.

I visit other forums of other distros I admire and have tested and used, and most have really nice communities too, but none comes close to the fun and usefulness of these Ubuntu forums!

Thanks, Mods!

Robin

23dornot23d
July 25th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I believe its a well controlled forum with something for all - and the ideas and thoughts in the
community cafe always get me thinking of what a high class set of clients we have here.

The layout and design is so easy to use too .... never too difficult to find what you want ....

The help is almost instant and also very helpful and polite on nearly every topic ....

I find it difficult to stay away from it for long ..... even if I go to fix a computer invariably I will check in
to see whats new ..... don't need News papers ..... all the current topics are always on here.

wolfen69
July 25th, 2011, 04:58 AM
This is also the most active forum I've ever seen. (Maybe I just don't know a lot of forums, but still).

It's definitely the most active I've ever seen. I've seen these forums so busy that it almost seemed like real time chat. Some of the noob attitudes annoy me at times, but overall, people are pretty good here.

chegarty
July 25th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I used Linux for a while years and years ago, but I hadn't used it as my main OS so I was somewhat unfamiliar with the ins and outs of certain Ubuntu-specific things. The forums have been amazingly useful. The community documentation is also really very good.

Legendary_Bibo
July 25th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I'll admit, it's a pretty good forum and I've wandered away from the Amazon VGF (video game forums, it's one of Amazon's most popular forums), and Playstation forums to come here.

Amazon's VGF mods are too lenient, and Playstation's mods are too strict so this is a nice balance.

Gone fishing
July 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Ubuntu forums is Ubuntu's killer app and have made Linux in general and Ubuntu particular more accessible. I remember before Ubuntu trying Linux, getting stuck and going to forums with plenty rfm type replies or simply links to the manual - elitist and unpleasant. I think Ubuntu and the forums have permanently changed this for the better, I suppose there is still a little hang on of this with the Ubuntu is for noobs and ‘real’ Linux users use Debian, Slackware or Arch etc – which is nonsense, if you want to use Slackware that cool but Ubuntu is too, they both have their pros and cons.

As for moderation Ubuntu forums isn’t OSnews or Slashdot – it’s primarily for helping folk not for sounding off. Possibly the moderators don’t always get it right particularly in the Community Café, I think I’ve had two comments removed one for describing how to enable root (even though I advised against it) and another for describing Apple as evil(which I felt was not unreasnoble), but an over enforcement of the CoC may be better than returning to the bad old elitist days or having rampant trolling

babakott
July 25th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I like the forums so much, that it is my homepage in Firefox.

The collective technical knowledge here is astounding. And you can get a good laugh or two along the way.

Linuxratty
July 25th, 2011, 04:32 PM
The collective technical knowledge here is astounding. And you can get a good laugh or two along the way.

This is true.I really find this forum and Linuxinternationals to be my favorites.

Bandit
July 26th, 2011, 03:23 AM
That's right, I think Ubuntu forums are awesome. Out of all the forums I belong to and participate in, I've spent the most time on here, and find the site the most useful as well.
I've been on here since 2006 already!

Ubuntu forums are awesome. But every time I see this thread I keep hearing Yo Gaba Gaba yelling "awesome".. LOL

I used to be big on the SuSE forums years past and when they split I still had around 10k post.. Dont care much about the lack of SuSE being all that great, but hated loosing most my friends from those forums. Just the same I always am happy to see old faces here as well.

zer010
July 26th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Although I don't post often, UFs is still one of my usual stops in surfing the net. ^_^d