PDA

View Full Version : in with both feet

kevinorourke2008
July 24th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Hi guy's,
well the time has come ! I am now going totally ubuntu :) I've now had my netbook formatted so that it will dual boot ubuntu as well as xp but I realised the other day that I hadn't used xp for quite some time and it's taking up 70 gig of my hard drive, so I have just ordered a 500 gig external hard drive where I can save all of my stuff and when that arrives I will be going totally ubuntu.I've got a live version of 10.04 which I am very happy with so there should be no problems getting back up and running. Just one question can I install off the live disk and will ubuntu re-partition my hard drive so that it is totally used by ubuntu? Last time I installed ubuntu was in 2008 since then I've done the updates to 10.04 never having to install from disk.
Cheers Kev.

tommpogg
July 24th, 2011, 08:07 PM
If you plan to reinstall Ubuntu and erase Win xp, you can use GParted, a tool to edit and modify partitions. You can find it under System > Administration in the Live CD.
Backup your data before formatting.

You can find some help about partitioning here. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition)

Eldera
July 24th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Just one question can I install off the live disk and will ubuntu re-partition my hard drive so that it is totally used by ubuntu?

Yes-just choose the appropriate prompt when the partition window comes up during install.

Edit:Tommpogg typed faster than I did and he is right in that partitioning before beginning the install gives you a little more control. If you are going to use the whole drive for Ubuntu, partitioning ahead of time probably isn't necessary, unless you want a separate home partition.

To do it ahead of the install, Boot your live CD/USB, choose "Run without changing you system" Open GParted, (unmount or swapoff anything that shows a lock) partition your drive, close GParted and start the install from the icon showing on the desktop.

kevinorourke2008
July 24th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Cheers Guy's, I knew about the gparted route but I think if I do a clean install I will also get rid of my eth0 problem as well(working fine until the other day when it just won't connect to the internet) having to go online using wireless.

Kev

Linuxratty
July 25th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I remember diving in as well..Ok,to be honest, I ran a live disk three days and THEN dove in erasing Windows.
Anyway,welcome aboard. I think you will enjoy using this OS. If nothing else,your paranoia about being infected will fade away.

madebyjordan
July 25th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Welcome! I too am a recent convertee and I think you'll love it.

If nothing else,your paranoia about being infected will fade away.

I noticed that over the last couple of months, I feel very relaxed in an Ubuntu environment.