PDA

View Full Version : Last week for the Novacut kickstarter project thing...

ninjaaron
July 24th, 2011, 01:05 PM
They are more than halfway there, but not much. I think they won't make it.

For those who don't know, Novacut is a FOSS project aimed at creating a professional grade, cross-platform collaborative video editor.

Here's a link the the story at OMG!Ubuntu! (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/07/open-source-video-editor-novacut-reaches-final-week-kickstarter/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+(OMG!+Ubuntu!))

I'm not connected to this project. I just saw it in my RSS feed. I do want money though. If anyone wants to give me some, I'll be around.

sffvba[e0rt
July 24th, 2011, 05:25 PM
They where aiming to high... that is just too much :/

PC_load_letter
July 24th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I am not 100% sure, but I think the $25,000 is not their choice, it's the minimum amount what Kickstarter ask of them to stay on their list of supported projects.

I just donated $10. I was about to post a thread about this myself, thanx Ninjaaron.
I think having a good video editor is probably the only missing feature in Linux, none of the current ones is up to par. Having a PRO level video editor that is also an open source project is a chance that we (as a community) shouldn't miss.

Since we haven't heard much about the awaited Lightworks for Linux (after it was open-sourced last year), I think the Novacut editor is very promising.

ssam
July 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM
since last time i looked at novacut it looks like they have written a fair amount of code. looks like it is modular enough that it can be of use for other multimedia projects too. impressive.

Galilei
July 24th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Hey!

Just wanted everyone to be aware of the Novacut project and the kickstart funding they've got closing in about 5 days. Go and donate a buck, or more if you can afford it. Novacut is a video editor for linux and it would be completely open source. I have nothing to do with the project itself, but I think it's important that people are aware of these things. How else can we make a difference, right?
Do the good deed of the week and donate some money for these guys. Heaven knows Linux needs a decent vide editor.

here's the link for their site. Check it out and put down a buck. Let's give these guys and Linux a chance!!

http://novacut.com/

overdrank
July 24th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Threads merged :)

ninjaaron
July 24th, 2011, 11:43 PM
They are up $2,900 from when the OMG!Ubuntu! article was posted this morning.

ninjaaron: fund-raising like one bad mutha.

tadcan
July 25th, 2011, 07:10 PM
The Novacut team have done an incredible job. The amount pledged has jumped up just over $17,000, up from around $13,000 a few days ago. Yes they are still four days to to get up to $25,000 and you may say that its not possible. Even so I encourage people to pledge $10 if you can.

On a personal level I would love a professional level program in linux. Not just becuase its one of those omissions that in open source, but because I am genuinely excited for how they want to redefine the editing process.

Have a look at this video of their UI development.
http://vimeo.com/groups/novacutartistdiaries/videos/26686605

I've done some editing and so have a little experience of what is invovled. They are using technology in the right way. While novacut itself will a local program, they are doing rapid development in a browser to get user feedback. Web backup and sharing built in from the ground up. And ultimately a platform for indie filmmakers to have a dedicated platform and engage with their fans. While scratching your itch works, sometimes a product has to be created for the user. And that means doing all the boring bits as well.

This project is all that is right about open source development, please support it if you can.

PC_load_letter
July 25th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Just one thing to make it clear, and this is based on the comments that I read at OMGUbuntu.

If you make a donation and the team does not make the $25,000 limit, all the donations will not go thru, actually checking my CC online statement I see that Amazon.com (I used the Amazon payments option) has only put a hold authorization and haven't charged my CC yet.

tadcan
July 25th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Yes the money only gets deducted if the full amount is reached. So the project needs to get the full amount for the kickstarter appeal to be considered a success.

In the four hours since my last post the amount pledged has gone up to $17,516. It will be a close call, but with a constant stream of pledges there is still a chance to to reach the figure.

tadcan
July 26th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Funny video of filmmakers excited by the potential of novacut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL9npnnsUac

PC_load_letter
July 26th, 2011, 03:47 PM
bump of the day.

PC_load_letter
July 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Oh so close now: $20,235 and only 67 hours remaining.

JDShu
July 27th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I think what is telling is the guy thinks that writing a video editor is easy and that dmedia was the hard part. Maybe he's a genius coder but that makes me doubt...

ssam
July 27th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I think what is telling is the guy thinks that writing a video editor is easy and that dmedia was the hard part. Maybe he's a genius coder but that makes me doubt...

he is not writing it from scratch. he's using gstreamer and gnonlin. and the more projects that use these libraries the better the libraries will get.

JDShu
July 28th, 2011, 01:56 AM
he is not writing it from scratch. he's using gstreamer and gnonlin. and the more projects that use these libraries the better the libraries will get.

Does a person who uses pygame to write a game count as writing from scratch? gtk? django? Sure, you're using libraries so that you aren't doing the really low level stuff, but it's never easy. And the fact that he describes it as getting it "for free" definitely makes it sound like he's underestimating the process of writing a video editor. I also just looked up gnonlin.. it doesn't even have documentation. So is he going to spend time figuring that out as well?

I guess the best way to think about it is that the community is paying a guy to work on open source code for peanuts. 25k is just enough to survive for a year, but we're probably going to see another fundraiser.

ninjaaron
July 28th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Don't be a playahata mang!

JDShu
July 28th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Since Diaspora, which was essentially funding the education of four kids, I've become a lot more skeptical of media hype surrounding Kickstarter projects. Kickstarter is great, but we really need to temper down expectations, especially for programs, which are never as easy as they first seem.

smellyman
July 28th, 2011, 03:00 AM
49 hours to go.

Only $1200 more needed!

Thewhistlingwind
July 28th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Kickstarter is great, but we really need to temper down expectations, especially for programs, which are never as easy as they first seem.

180% rule still holds.

JDShu
July 28th, 2011, 03:14 AM
180% rule still holds.

Sorry, I don't get the reference :( explain?

Thewhistlingwind
July 28th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Sorry, I don't get the reference :( explain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-ninety_rule

I used the wrong name.

JDShu
July 28th, 2011, 03:28 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-ninety_rule

I used the wrong name.

Ah, thank you.

That the total development time sums to 180% is a wry allusion to the notorious tendency of software development projects to significantly overrun their original schedules. It expresses both the rough allocation of time to easy and hard portions of a programming project and the cause of the lateness of many projects (that is, failure to anticipate the hard parts). In other words, it takes both more time and more coding than expected to make a project work.

Exactly. As I said, maybe Jason is an amazing genius coder and all will be well, but his flippant attitude is a bit disturbing.

Snowboi
July 28th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Get your check books and credit cards only 1000$ left till project competition ! Unless they fully obtain the goal for the project it will NOT be funded and the 24 000$ that they already have pledged will be returned. DONATE NOW ! :guitar: Linux could

really use this software.

only 46 hours left.

tadcan
July 28th, 2011, 01:40 PM
WOOOOOTTTTT!!!!
Funding reached, the current amount pledged is 25,042.

The process was not without its controversy. The lead of Pitivi had this to say.
http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2011/07/novacut-not-just-vaporware.html

This boils down to when is it better to work with another project or start your own. Opinions will vary, but if there is a significant difference in the approach or the audience then it is worth starting fresh.

Novacut has said they are not scratching their own itch. They have listened to video creatives, whereas apart from kdenlive the other NLE's are focused on the home user. The feedback from professional editors has been very positive. There really seems to be a need to have a new approach the editing.

I am invovled on the irc, and hope that the project will gain traction in the media world.

tadcan
July 28th, 2011, 05:58 PM
From Woot to UGH! Some people have reduced their pledge, bringing back to $24,977. So with only 34 hours to go, an extra $33 is left. This is like the beginning of the third act of a film. The problem appears to have been solved, BUT there is a final twist.

Edit: its back up to $25,325. Fingers crossed it will stay above $25k

PC_load_letter
July 28th, 2011, 06:08 PM
They seem to have come back, it's $25,325 now with 769 backers.

ssj6akshat
August 3rd, 2011, 05:46 PM
Does a person who uses pygame to write a game count as writing from scratch? gtk? django? Sure, you're using libraries so that you aren't doing the really low level stuff, but it's never easy. And the fact that he describes it as getting it "for free" definitely makes it sound like he's underestimating the process of writing a video editor. I also just looked up gnonlin.. it doesn't even have documentation. So is he going to spend time figuring that out as well?

I guess the best way to think about it is that the community is paying a guy to work on open source code for peanuts. 25k is just enough to survive for a year, but we're probably going to see another fundraiser.

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gnonlin/html/