PDA

View Full Version : whats the compatibility of Ubuntu64 now-a-days?

eival
July 24th, 2011, 04:39 AM
i remember back when i first started using Ubuntu when 8.04 came out there was hardly any support for the 64bit version so i went back to 32 and when i upgraded to 10.4 a few months ago i did the same but recently i was going to try out the media streaming service Boxee but it only supports Ubuntu64 :( so it got me thinking about possibly upgrading if its actually being supported as much as 32 is/was

does anyone use 10.4-64, is there alot of reliable support at the moment?

reliable meaning that it doesnt require any beta versions of plugins/apps as well as Ubuntu itself(non-LTS, 10.10+)

kaldor
July 24th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I have used 32 bit since 7.10 up to 11.04. I got a new PC a few weeks ago with 8 GB of RAM, so I said "may as well" and installed 64 bit Ubuntu for the first time. I haven't had a single issue at all.

After that, I went ahead and installed a 64 bit OS on my laptop. In this case, Fedora 15. There was a minor issue with a particular game, but I fixed it instantly by installing a small package available in the repository.

Also, Flash performance on Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit is on par with my Windows 7 dual boot. Dunno if it's due to my relatively decent PC, but I have had none of the issues that people report. I do not have Flash installed on the laptop since Flash makes my CPU heat up to 85 degrees celcius.

I say go for it these days. Also, Flash performance on Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit is on par with my Windows 7 dual boot (needed it for college; haven't used Windows since early 2008). Dunno if it's due to my relatively decent PC, but I have had none of the issues that people report. I do not have Flash installed on the laptop since Flash makes my CPU heat up to 80 degrees celcius.

IWantFroyo
July 24th, 2011, 05:01 AM
YES. There is a lot of Ubuntu support for 64 bit. If you have the processor, go for it.

The only real thing I can think of is Adobe's Flash, and those 32-bit only apps.

On Ubuntu, those can be remedied by installing Ubuntu Restricted Extras and ia32-libs (or something like that).

kaldor
July 24th, 2011, 05:06 AM
YES. There is a lot of Ubuntu support for 64 bit. If you have the processor, go for it.

The only real thing I can think of is Adobe's Flash, and those 32-bit only apps.

On Ubuntu, those can be remedied by installing Ubuntu Restricted Extras and ia32-libs (or something like that).

Flash works fine on my PC. That said, Adobe released the beta for Flash 11 which has a native 64-bit version.

And yes, just install the ia32 package and all will be well. I run lots of 32-bit only programs on both my laptop and desktop without a hitch.

Basically, you have nothing to lose.

Bandit
July 24th, 2011, 05:16 AM
64bit these days are just as compatible as 32bit. I wouldnt run anything other then 64bit unless hardware prohibited it.

NightwishFan
July 24th, 2011, 06:10 AM
If you have a 64-bit processor use 64-bit.
:)

PhantmKllr
July 24th, 2011, 07:00 AM
PhantmKllr here. Coming at you from 11.10 64-bit, and doing great. (Alpha testing, FTW!)

The water's fine, and getting warmer all the time. Feel free to jump in. ;)

Dustin2128
July 24th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Can't attest to ubuntu, but arch 64-bit is smooth. I'm guessing ubuntu would be even better.

3rdalbum
July 24th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Recurring in 3... 2... 1...

Ubuntu 64-bit is just as good as Ubuntu 32-bit. Better, even, because it's got more modern optimisations enabled and it can address more memory. There's not been compatibility issues for me. Come to think of it, I've installed Boxee on a 32-bit machine in the past, there should be a PPA for Boxee.

3Miro
July 24th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I have been running 64-bit since 8.10. There used to be some Flash glitches, but no more. The only problem that I have seen recently was a proprietary printer driver that was 32-bit only. This is a rare problem, so you can just move over to 64-bit and things should be fine.

DoFlooterMoose
July 24th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Well, I'm still fairly new to Linux, so take this with a grain of salt. But I recently migrated over from Windows 7 x64, and I love it! I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 x64 and have not experienced any problems what so ever. Flash works just fine. I don't really do much more than games, movies, music, and web browsing on here. So beyond those I couldn't really tell you about issues. I have to thank the Linux/Ubuntu comunity for that though. They made the migration and learning curve very easy for me =D>

oldos2er
July 24th, 2011, 05:50 PM
64-bit Flash is beta, but it works better for me than 32-bit flash + nspluginwrapper.