On the Sun,
Then your night,
Is two times one.

Copyright (C) 2008 Jesse Cox

What do you guys think?

trollolo
July 24th, 2011, 04:10 AM
sounds like an angsty 14 year old wrote it

and why are you posting this here again?

ki4jgt
July 24th, 2011, 04:29 AM
sounds like an angsty 14 year old wrote it

and why are you posting this here again?

Getting thoughts, ideas, input. 14 is a long way away from the age I was when I wrote that. So, what makes it sound childish may I ask?

Thewhistlingwind
July 24th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Well, I've written much worse things and posted them to the net, lord hope nobody ever finds those.

Anyway, if I had to give input, it's not my thing, but it's certainly not "angsty 14 year old" yet. two times one line needs work though.

ki4jgt
July 24th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Well, I've written much worse things and posted them to the net, lord hope nobody ever finds those.

Is it really that bad? LOL I kind of liked it :-) (Of course I wrote it, so that doesn't count) I've basically been going through a few old notebooks of things I've written. Found a couple in there that I really liked, this one and a quote "The irony behind the fact that everyone can think, is that only a few people know how to do it." That and a theory on gravity based on water ripples have amused me for the few hours. :-)

ki4jgt
July 24th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Anyway, if I had to give input, it's not my thing, but it's certainly not "angsty 14 year old" yet. two times one line needs work though.

Thanks. I've been trying to figure out what to put there.

isaacj87
July 24th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Thanks. I've been trying to figure out what to put there.

I don't think it's "angsty." However, I think the first stanza should be moved somewhere later.

Your first first line of the 2nd stanza: "The moon rises to show a face," sounds like a good start. In fact, the 2nd stanza is well done. I think starting off angry gives the reader the whole "teenage angst" vibe. Have the speaker build up to the angrier emotions.

ki4jgt
July 24th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I don't think it's "angsty." However, I think the first stanza should be moved somewhere later.

Your first first line of the 2nd stanza: "The moon rises to show a face," sounds like a good start. In fact, the 2nd stanza is well done. I think starting off angry gives the reader the whole "teenage angst" vibe. Have the speaker build up to the angrier emotions.

Well, the first stanza isn't supposed to have an angry feel. It's just stating where I am from a third person perspective, kind of like, I'm here, doing this, again. . . This is where I am. Then it goes to the moon as a way up from that place. It's not implying anger as much as stating where I'm currently at in my life, so if that stays in, it would have to be in the start b/c it's the launching pad of the entire poem.

Edit: It's more of starting out sad kind of thing (no anger intended), b/c that's where I'm coming from, b/c I'm stuck AGAIN in this place of darkness that's created by the world around me and all I have is my anger. The moon is a light shining in on that darkness and allowing me to see that I have hope, and am able to rise above the darkness, which is where I'm rising from.

Bandit
July 24th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Seems to poetic to me. Maybe if you can screem it in German with a heavy metal band then it may be good.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
July 24th, 2011, 06:52 AM
b/c that's where I'm coming from, b/c I'm stuck AGAIN in this place of darkness that's created by the world around me and all I have is my anger. The moon is a light shining in on that darkness and allowing me to see that I have hope, and am able to rise above the darkness, which is where I'm rising from.

Well when you put it that way, it does sound kind of angsty.

ninjaaron
July 24th, 2011, 12:45 PM
It sounds a little trite. Might be able to pull it off with music. Slap some nu-metal behind that stuff and try selling it to teenagers.

Nobody knows what it's like
to be the bad man
to be the sad man

handy
July 24th, 2011, 02:07 PM
@ki4jgt: I thought by the thread title you were another Unity hater who has had enough & was heading for MintXfce. :)

I have poetry that I wrote many years ago. It means something to me, being a window into my past, but I wouldn't inflict it on anyone else.

trollolo
July 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Seems to poetic to me. Maybe if you can screem it in German with a heavy metal band then it may be good.

>screaming
>metal

nope.avi

ki4jgt
July 24th, 2011, 07:17 PM

Well when you put it that way, it does sound kind of angsty.

It sounds a little trite. Might be able to pull it off with music. Slap some nu-metal behind that stuff and try selling it to teenagers.

Nobody knows what it's like
to be the bad man
to be the sad man

@ki4jgt: I thought by the thread title you were another Unity hater who has had enough & was heading for MintXfce. :)

I have poetry that I wrote many years ago. It means something to me, being a window into my past, but I wouldn't inflict it on anyone else.

>screaming
>metal

nope.avi

Nice guys :-P have a good day buntu users. O and about the Unity thing, I have had enough of it, I'm still using gnome. I however believe it's a great desktop environment (great intentions) it just needs a little tweaking. That's why I created this (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28113/) I did originally post a thread on it, and added what I didn't like about it, then decided that if I ever wanted to see it grow, I needed to start an idea.