PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a document program for algebra equations.

Bandit
July 24th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Hello Everyone,
I have been looking for document program that I can place algebraic expressions in that are in natural form. Not a inline format.
I have installed numerous programs from Software Center but no luck. I thought libre office's MATH was supposed to do this, but if it does I would like to find something much simpler and quicker to use.

Many thanks,
Joe

NovaAesa
July 24th, 2011, 02:48 AM
I'm not really sure what you mean by "natural form, not inline format." You could try LaTeX, although I don't think it's simpler than Office's MATH (I've never used MATH though...).

3Miro
July 24th, 2011, 03:05 AM
LaTeX is the industry standard for working with Math formulas. It takes some getting used to, but once you figure it out, it is the fastest and most natural thing. LaTeX beats down any plugin for any Office program.

Under Linux, I use TexMaker as the editor, it is a great editor. If TexMaker doesn't automatically install LaTeX, you can install it via the texlive packages (texlive is the Linux version of LaTeX).

Bandit
July 24th, 2011, 05:20 AM
LaTeX is the industry standard for working with Math formulas. It takes some getting used to, but once you figure it out, it is the fastest and most natural thing. LaTeX beats down any plugin for any Office program.

Under Linux, I use TexMaker as the editor, it is a great editor. If TexMaker doesn't automatically install LaTeX, you can install it via the texlive packages (texlive is the Linux version of LaTeX).

Good info, guess I will just have to learn to use it.
Many thanks. :)

Bandit
July 24th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I installed the newest 3.0.2, its gonna take some time to learn, but it can output the information formated the way I want. So it will be worth it. Again many thanks 3miro.. :)

Legendary_Bibo
July 24th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I installed the newest 3.0.2, its gonna take some time to learn, but it can output the information formated the way I want. So it will be worth it. Again many thanks 3miro.. :)

Stop right there. Open/Libre Office has it built it, and it even has a graphical way (buttons) if you forget.

Bandit
July 24th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Stop right there. Open/Libre Office has it built it, and it even has a graphical way (buttons) if you forget.

Been using it all afternoon. Its being a pain to get working the way I want. Texmaker on the other hand is turning out to be more of what I really wanted instead of having to jump between multiple programs. Plus its a nice cleaner interface.