PDA

View Full Version : Adobe, Autodesk, and Games (a review)

ScionicSpectre
July 24th, 2011, 12:40 AM
I've put together a short, three-page paper for the most often cited reasons people have for shying away from Linux as a full-time OS. That is, the most often cited challenges that are also the most difficult to resolve- Adobe, Autodesk, and videogames.

My reason for this is to pull together a short analysis with a description of the problem and the most pragmatic solutions available. I'd like your feedback on what I could do to edit this paper to make it more concise, powerful, or accurate (it is meant as a general guide).

Of course, I know many people will disagree with me, but I think many more will agree with the basic premise of the article. Please give it a short read and tell me what you think.

P.S. I'll be adding some sources later where I find them to be necessary.

Pastebin (http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=sBggzDxy)

ninjaaron
July 24th, 2011, 02:24 AM
TL;DR

Just kidding. It was alright. I use Linux exclusively, so obviously none of those three things keep me from using it. A few things:

1. I have no idea what autodesk is. I feel as if it were that important, I would have heard of it. Maybe not. I dunno.

2. Newer "iDevices" don't necessarily work on Linux, especially now that they can't be recognised as mass storage devices. VMs are the only good way of doing this. Incidentally, I have no idea how to set up a VM. That is a really big deal, since a lot more people own iDevices that use Photoshop, Autodesk, or are serious gamers combined.

3. I started using Linux cause I didn't want to pay for something that I could get for free (as in free beer), and I had no need for the things that it didn't do. I would never put money in a kickstarter fund to get Photoshop, because I'm happy with GIMP personally, I would never buy photoshop, and I have no vested interest in the mainstream popularity of Linux. I would never support WINE for the same reason: I don't use it. If I didn't want to pay for software that I use (enough to change platforms), I'm sure as hell not going to pay for software that I don't use. Shuttleworth can buy off adobe if it's important to him. I've got to pay for college.

murderslastcrow
July 24th, 2011, 03:30 AM
While I think it's a bit overconfident in its language, I mostly agree with what's presented in the paper. Designers and gamers are definitely not the most likely to use Linux due to this, whereas I don't see a lot of other hobbies and professions that Linux can't tailor itself to.

ScionicSpectre
July 24th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Ah, I wasn't aware that the iPod support relapsed. I've always wondered why Apple went out of their way to make expected formats and transfer methods unavailable to users. If a user can add any old pirated mp3 to iTunes and synchronize it, what do you have to gain by restricting this? Asking questions doesn't really help the situation, obviously. XD

Autodesk makes 3ds Max, Maya, and AutoCAD, which are the most common 3D and CAD applications out there, among other things. The reason I mention AutoCAD and After Effects specifically is because we aren't really too close to replacing them. Almost every other kind of software out there has a suitable alternative in comparison.

I've researched users quite a bit in my installations, and researched the common reasons for people to shy away from Linux on various forum posts dedicated to the concept, and these are the most insurmountable issues I come across.

I agree that more people use iPods than play games and all that other designy stuff, but I don't focus on it because it's a problem that either has a solution, or there is a solution being worked on (they don't tend to be as intensive as developing design applications). So I don't mention that because it's a big problem with an obvious solution that probably won't be too difficult to figure out. Then again, I could be entirely misled in that assumption.

I totally agree that, if you don't care about Adobe CS or 'the spread of Linux', you shouldn't donate for that. I'm only making the suggestion that people in the community who do care consider these options. That's also the reason my first suggestion was to replace Adobe/Autodesk functionality.

From my own perspective, I am fine using open software so long as it meets my needs without being overly difficult. If it works for me, that's all that matters- I don't care if anyone else uses it. I'll help someone set it up and learn it if they want it, though.

TL|DR iPods seem like something more easily resolved, although they affect a lot of people. Autodesk and Adobe are examples of more irreplaceable apps with consistent concerns for users. I don't think you should care about spreading Linux or using design software- this paper is only for those who identify with this problem.

Thanks for reading!

TeoBigusGeekus
July 24th, 2011, 10:28 AM
We have 3D applications and CAD applications, but nothing near the functionality present in AutoCAD

Change that to

We don't have ANY 3D applications and our CAD applications, as compared to Autocad, are like comparing pong to grand theft auto.
Even the drafting tools available in linux are a joke. Recent efforts like Bricscad or Draftsight would have been good news back in 2000, but today few professionals use simple, plain Autocad. The present and the future is BIM (Building Information Modeling) software in all engineering sections: you don't draw lines anymore; you build walls, doors, windows, etc. live on your pc.
By the time linux catches up with this (around 2050 I presume) something else will be around and so on...

TL;DR: There's no usable (and useful) CAD in linux and there's never gonna be one.

PS: Read my signature.

murderslastcrow
July 24th, 2011, 08:16 PM
TeoBigusGeekus, I've always been a bit pessimistic myself that the need would be so great that anyone would muster the energy to create something similar to AutoCAD. I think it's far more likely the WINE developers get it working than any alternative solution.

Thewhistlingwind
July 24th, 2011, 08:25 PM
TeoBigusGeekus, I've always been a bit pessimistic myself that the need would be so great that anyone would muster the energy to create something similar to AutoCAD. I think it's far more likely the WINE developers get it working than any alternative solution.

"Good artists copy, Great artists steal."

It eventually occurred to me that a potential solution to the whole "100 OSes" problem was to make virtualization faster. (I'm not sure you can get it fast enough for most rendering/jobs requiring large amounts of computing power though.)

Of course, EFI supports real multi-boot if the spec is followed properly..........