PDA

View Full Version : Linux qualifications and Employability

Ceiber Boy
July 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
I have always used Linux in work, as every job I've had has involved a desk and a windows XP machine. Installing Ubuntu has always stimulated discussion, the main question enquiring as to why I would want to use anything other than Microsoft products? because their that good! As time goes on people see (although they would never admit it) the advantages that Linux and open source has to offer. so here is the question:

Do you think a Linux qualification would make me more employable?

The only other piece of information you may need to know before you share an opinion is that that i am very well qualified in my field, but its not IT.

Thanks

lykwydchykyn
July 23rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
I would be surprised if Linux experience was relevant to any field outside of IT. Maybe in the sciences, but I can only say from hearsay.

Then again, things may be different on your side of the pond.

Thewhistlingwind
July 23rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Outside of IT, I'd think the only benefit would be it making you sound smarter.

haqking
I have always used Linux in work, as every job I've had has involved a desk and a windows XP machine. Installing Ubuntu has always stimulated discussion, the main question enquiring as to why I would want to use anything other than Microsoft products? because their that good! As time goes on people see (although they would never admit it) the advantages that Linux and open source has to offer. so here is the question:

The only other piece of information you may need to know before you share an opinion is that that i am very well qualified in field, but its not IT.

Thanks

if you are going for a job that involves linux then having a linux cert would make you more employable, if you are going for a Windows job then probably not.

Certifications are relative to the position.

Certs are only aplpicable if they apply to your job role.

Having a MCSE wont get you a Linux sys admin job, but would help if it is a windows based network with linux web servers for example.

being a dentist wont get you a job as car mechanic ;-)

3Miro
The more skills you have, the easier it would be for you to find a job. Specifically with Linux, it would depend on the company. Some companies would hire nothing but Windows experts, some companies would hire nothing but Linux ones.

For my job, understanding of Unix is a requirement. Other positions would require Windows. It all depends.

haqking
July 23rd, 2011, 09:58 PM

The only other piece of information you may need to know before you share an opinion is that that i am very well qualified in field, but its not IT.

Thanks

Linux is in the field of IT.

There is no other field that doesnt involve IT

Ceiber Boy
July 23rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
"There is no other field that doesnt involve IT"
I like this.

ninjaaron
July 24th, 2011, 12:39 AM
As time goes on people see (although they would never admit it) the advantages that Linux and open source has to offer.

If nobody has ever admitted it, there is a good chance that nobody is actually seeing it. You may want to seek professional help if this delusion persists. I've never seen anyone get excited about anything I was doing in Linux except the Compiz cube rotation.

ninjaaron
July 24th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Linux is in the field of IT.

There is no other field that doesnt involve IT

Culinary arts?

Thewhistlingwind
July 24th, 2011, 12:41 AM
except the Compiz cube rotation.

I never thought that was cool. *shrug*

ninjaaron
July 24th, 2011, 12:44 AM

I never used it as default. I just turned it on when I wanted to impress someone. It usually worked. I think it's cool, I just don't think it's useful.

haqking
July 24th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Culinary arts?

I was referring to the OP who said he was qualified in another field (the context inferred related to linux) but stated not IT.

There is no field that involves Linux that is not IT.

As for culinary arts however even some kitchen appliances rnu Linux
http://www.cultofmac.com/cool-news-now-your-fridge-can-run-linux/71153

LOL :-)

Legendary_Bibo
July 24th, 2011, 12:47 AM

I use the compiz dodecahedron. You've probably never heard of it. http://omgcheesecake.net/public/style_emoticons/default/78aZJ.png

In all seriousness, the cube would work for a touch screen with a powerful enough GPU. Putting it as a sphere, transparency, and turning on Aplha blur with V-sync gave it some bad performance.

ScionicSpectre
July 24th, 2011, 12:49 AM
UNIX-like experience is pretty major in the advanced sciences, but most of the software used in those scenarios is also available on OS X. Most scientists I know well use OS X for their research, even though Linux could do just as well in most cases.

Thewhistlingwind
July 24th, 2011, 12:52 AM
As for culinary arts however even some kitchen appliances rnu Linux
http://www.cultofmac.com/cool-news-now-your-fridge-can-run-linux/71153

LOL :-)

I just got an image of chefs with JTAG cables.

That was weird dude.