PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install new apps or update in Unity

hodad
July 23rd, 2011, 03:04 PM
When I go to the Unity Application icon, I get a listing of apps I can install. When I choose one, I get a good explanation of the software package. I hit the "install" button, and a very jittery error screen flashes up for a few tenths of a second, saying something like "need to authenticate".

Also, though I intalled Natty several weeks ago, Update Manager still says that there are no updates to install. Is that normal at this point for Natty, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Frogs Hair
July 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
A password is required to install software , but the dialog box should remain visible until that has been done granted that you have permission to install software on that account.

I have proposed updates selected , so I have received many over the past two weeks . You could try to reinstall the update manager and then run check for updates .

2F4U
July 23rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
When I go to the Unity Application icon, I get a listing of apps I can install. When I choose one, I get a good explanation of the software package. I hit the "install" button, and a very jittery error screen flashes up for a few tenths of a second, saying something like "need to authenticate".

Also, though I intalled Natty several weeks ago, Update Manager still says that there are no updates to install. Is that normal at this point for Natty, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Can you open a terminal and execute the following comands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

to see if there are updates available and then install those updates.

quyvuong00
July 23rd, 2011, 04:29 PM
i known, my reply don't help you for this question, but i think, use unity is very complicate,i stil use gome. :)