PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome 2 permissions problems with scripts

Alistair George
July 23rd, 2011, 04:57 AM
Hi I have just had to reinstall Linux. Now I cant seem to run many scripts, even though I have checked several scripts and the permissions are the same; some run, some dont, with the previous installation all ran fine:

As administrator, only some of my scripts work (.gnome2/nautilus-scripts).
EG this works:

cd $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI
exec gnome-terminal

but this doesnt; does not even bring up the root user password dialog:

cd $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI
sudo gnome-terminal

This one brings up the pw dialog, but does not instantiate nautilus with root or admin:

foo=`gksudo -u root -k -m "enter your password for nautilus root access" /bin/echo "got r00t?"`
sudo nautilus --no-desktop $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI

Anything I could try please?

doas777
July 23rd, 2011, 05:29 AM
just use gksu in place of sudo. when invoked, it brings up its own prompt.

but it is much easier to install nautilus-gksu (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/nautilus-gksu-gksu-extension-for-nautilus-allows-you-to-open-files-with-administration-privileges.html)

Alistair George
July 23rd, 2011, 06:07 AM
just use gksu in place of sudo. when invoked, it brings up its own prompt.

but it is much easier to install nautilus-gksu (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/nautilus-gksu-gksu-extension-for-nautilus-allows-you-to-open-files-with-administration-privileges.html)
Unfortunately, this does not sort out the scripts of which there are many. Id prefer to find out whats causing the problem and sort it out correctly.
For example, before I could click the Scripts within Nautilus and execute one of many scripts, now it does not work.
Thanks,
Alistair.

doas777
July 23rd, 2011, 06:27 AM
then make sure you replace your sudo's with gksu's, if you plan on executing somthing as root without being in a terminal.

Alistair George
July 23rd, 2011, 07:29 AM
then make sure you replace your sudo's with gksu's, if you plan on executing somthing as root without being in a terminal.

Well I did that, and GKSU did not make any different. Sorry about being pedantic, its unusual that the scripts did work, now dont.