PDA

View Full Version : Ironically heavy programs

Dustin2128
July 23rd, 2011, 04:45 AM
Tell us what programs/games that are extremely heavy in spite of what you'd think. Exhibit A: Dwarf Fortress. Morrowind, quake 4, Urban Terror, none of them can touch my CPU and GPU fans. I start up dwarf fortress, 5 minutes later, my GPU temp is in excess of 60C, and my CPU fan sounds like a jet turbine. This is a roguelike city builder that should by all counts be in my "Awesomely deep roguelike to play on a 486" category", when in reality it's unplayable on anything before a pentium 4, and unpleasent on lower clocked machines. Exhibit B: Minecraft. See exhibit A, but swap 486 with pentium 2. I know minecraft is supposedly coded poorly, but what's dwarf fortress's excuse?

NovaAesa
July 23rd, 2011, 06:05 AM
I think most of these unexpectedly heavy games are the result of poor algorithm design. If you aren't using the best algorithm for the job, it doesn't matter if you are implementing in the fastest language out there, the program will still run slowly.

3rdalbum
July 23rd, 2011, 07:35 AM
All I can think of is Minecraft. Such primitive graphics (excuse the pun, 3D modellers) but it got my GPU fan running faster than it did in Race Driver: GRID.

Dustin2128
July 23rd, 2011, 07:47 AM
I think most of these unexpectedly heavy games are the result of poor algorithm design. If you aren't using the best algorithm for the job, it doesn't matter if you are implementing in the fastest language out there, the program will still run slowly.
That and possibly that dwarf fortress has no multithreading capabilities. It's like I upgraded to a pentium D for nothing! ;)

Thewhistlingwind
July 23rd, 2011, 08:09 AM
fedora 15 lxde spin requires 512 MB to run................

](*,)

Dustin2128
July 23rd, 2011, 09:04 AM
fedora 15 lxde spin requires 512 MB to run................

](*,)
I think that deserves this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Riz4BU0Rr0s/SnI-OkXKw6I/AAAAAAAAC1Q/qVWc6KAnEX8/s400/picard-facepalm2.jpg
There is no excuse....

leviathan8
July 23rd, 2011, 09:21 AM
In a hot summer day, while playing Minecraft, according to the sensors, my fans reached 5600 rotations per minute.

red_Marvin
July 23rd, 2011, 02:46 PM
As far as I know, dwarf fortress is quite cpu intensive because of the
level of detail the simulation goes to.

krapp
July 23rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
All I can think of is Minecraft. Such primitive graphics (excuse the pun, 3D modellers) but it got my GPU fan running faster than it did in Race Driver: GRID.

Sounds like every single Flash game on a computer built before 2008.

ninjaaron
July 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
all flash programs in Linux.

Lucradia
July 23rd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Sounds like every single Flash game on a computer built before 2008.

Minecraft uses JAVA, which sucks. It should've used python.

Also remember a bash script that was about 814 bytes, and could tax a GPU using OpenGL tessellation (this won't exactly "tax" any newer nvidia GTX C/GPU, due to the way nvidia implements particle calculation, but can cause it to overheat slightly.)

Minecraft is also in beta. Also, don't use Millienare or whatever it's called, it conflicts with optifog apparently, which if you don't install (optifog) will have serious graphical lags. (Turn on FPS Stabilizer)

Dustin2128
July 23rd, 2011, 11:00 PM
Minecraft uses JAVA, which sucks. It should've used python.

Also remember a bash script that was about 814 bytes, and could tax a GPU using OpenGL tessellation (this won't exactly "tax" any newer nvidia GTX C/GPU, due to the way nvidia implements particle calculation, but can cause it to overheat slightly.)

Minecraft is also in beta. Also, don't use Millienare or whatever it's called, it conflicts with optifog apparently, which if you don't install (optifog) will have serious graphical lags. (Turn on FPS Stabilizer)
If minecraft had been written in C or C++, it'd be playable on just about anything with a CPU. And yeah, I agree that python would probably have it run circles around the java client, not to mention increase the ease of modding in the future.