PDA

View Full Version : KDE. Who'd a thunk it?

Docaltmed
July 23rd, 2011, 03:49 AM
Last time I tried KDE was when I was first wandering around Ubuntu-land. It was 8.10 on an HP tablet, and nobody had a clue. With the help of a really smart member of this forum, I was compiling wacom drivers. Lots of fun, but really a little too much work.

I thought KDE was mildly cool, but it was wildly unstable on my machine, and I really didn't like the Start menu or whatevertheheck they call it. I hate menus, which is one of the reasons I took to Unity so quick. And Kubuntu was just a little too sparkly for my taste.So, I've pretty much been a Gnome guy for the past several years, and really liked Unity quite a bit when it first came out.

Over the last few updates, Unity has started to get pretty unstable on me as well, so when things were slow this afternoon, I decided to try out KDE Netbook on my...netbook.

Well, shut my mouth wide open! I really like the Netbook version, with the search and launch view, and the widgets. This is sweet!!

Tip o' the hat to the KDE devs, it has really come a long way over the past few years.

Still don't like Amarok, though. Really, really, don't.

Otherwise, I guess I just picked a new DE for my netbook. Just like Christmas in July. Or something.

Famicube64
July 23rd, 2011, 03:55 AM
KDE has become the best DE for me now that GNOME 2 is dead.

3Miro
July 23rd, 2011, 04:01 AM
KDE was my DE of choice before I discovered XFCE. I did do through 4.1 -> 4.3 transition and at 4.4 I found something that just works better for me. Overall, I like KDE and it is definitely the most configurable DE out there.

BrokenKingpin
July 23rd, 2011, 04:04 AM
I really like the design of KDE, and like how you can easily switch from the netbook layout to the desktop layout. Unfortunately, I still find KDE quite buggy and a bit bloated.

ilovelinux33467
July 23rd, 2011, 04:09 AM
I'm glad you are enjoying it. KDE is definitely my favourite. Its features, customizability and its looks are just some of the reasons I like it so much. Plus it runs smoothly on all of my hardware (Laptop, old laptop, netbook and desktop). KDE SC 4.7 is to be released in a few days so there's something to look forward to :)

Ric_NYC
July 23rd, 2011, 04:33 AM
KDE has become the best DE for me now that GNOME 2 is dead.

The same here.

Dustin2128
July 23rd, 2011, 04:40 AM
I always liked KDE's widget system, but I change desktop environments like I change clothes, so I'm back on gnome shell.

NightwishFan
July 23rd, 2011, 05:40 AM
I will not deny that I like KDE. It is fast and functional and very modest despite having a lot of potential eye candy. I still like Gnome (3) and XFCE better though.

wolfen69
July 23rd, 2011, 06:26 AM
Tip o' the hat to the KDE devs, it has really come a long way over the past few years.

Yes it has, and I recently felt the same way about K4. But after using it for a while, for me, I found it to be less stable than other DE's. Go figure. But hey, if you get along with it, that's what it's all about. In the end, it's actually a good thing we use/like different stuff.

beew
July 23rd, 2011, 07:46 AM
I think both gnome shell and Unity are better than KDE, I just hate it.

Dustin2128
July 23rd, 2011, 07:49 AM
I think both gnome shell and Unity are better than KDE, I just hate it.
Gnome shell, maybe, but unity? Why don't you like KDE out of curiosity?

tjeremiah
July 23rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
I installed KDE (kubuntu) 3 weeks ago just to try it and I havent switched back to desktop environment Ubuntu (unity) since then. :eek:

I always heard how KDE is a system hog, etc, but I have to say, even on my now 3-4yr old, 2.5 gb RAM with intel int. graphics notebook, KDE runs smoother and is more stable than Compiz + Gnome on my Vaio. :popcorn:

el_koraco
July 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM
KDE is awesome.

Mustard
July 23rd, 2011, 11:26 AM
I've switched over myself to KDE recently due to being left behind by Gnome3 and Unity. I really loved Gnome2 and it will be sorely missed. KDE is now the my best choice for a full desktop experience. I don't mind a desktop with less though, so XFCE is a great choice too.

ninjaaron
July 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
I always liked the overall look and feel of KDE, and especially now that it's current iteration has matured a bit, but I can never find what I'm looking for, with all the system controls in different places, and I can never get my gtk programs to look right, including must-have apps like firefox (ok, it's not gtk, but there are packages for that, and I can't figure out how to make it look right in KDE). Doesn't feel like home to me.

A classy DE, no doubt. I'm just too stupid to use it.

Linuxratty
July 23rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
I'm pleased you are enjoying it. KDE is definitely my favorite DE..No doubt about it.When support ends for the Meerkat,I'll be moving back to KDE or XFCE.

Frogs Hair
July 23rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
I've always thought KDE looks nice , but have not tried it .

Ric_NYC
July 23rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
I always liked the overall look and feel of KDE, and especially now that it's current iteration has matured a bit, but I can never find what I'm looking for, with all the system controls in different places, and I can never get my gtk programs to look right, including must-have apps like firefox (ok, it's not gtk, but there are packages for that, and I can't figure out how to make it look right in KDE). Doesn't feel like home to me.

A classy DE, no doubt. I'm just too stupid to use it.

Try changing some settings:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/114/gtki.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/gtki.jpg/)

Firefox didn't look good until I changed those settings.

oldos2er
July 23rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Still don't like Amarok, though. Really, really, don't.

Give Clementine a try; it's based on the older Amarok (1.4).

Did 8.10 use KDE 4.0x, or 3.5x? I can't remember, but if it was 'wildly unstable' for you, I'd guess 4.0x. 4.6x is a vast improvement, and it's fast and stable on my 4 year old desktop.

aaaantoine
July 23rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
I think 8.10 used KDE 4.1.

I actually like KDE for the most part, but I've decided I prefer Unity.

ninjaaron
July 23rd, 2011, 07:21 PM
Try changing some settings:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/114/gtki.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/gtki.jpg/)

Firefox didn't look good until I changed those settings.

Thanks for the advice, but it's not really a big deal. I like KDE a lot, but I still like Unity and Gnome 3 better. :wink: