PDA

View Full Version : Free advertizing

ate50eggs
May 23rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
I just went to my girlfriend's graduation. There was a student speaker and the theme of her talk was Ubuntu (the Zulu word meaning "I am what I am because all of us together or something") She must have said Ubuntu about 15 times. It's the only time I've heard the word outside of linux (or by accidentally going to Ubuntu.org).

I thought it was funny, but my girlfriend said she was used to hearing the word "Ubuntu" 15 times in one day (from me) and wasn't impressed.

The celebrity speaker was the chick who wrote The Vagina Monologues. No word on her operating system of choice.

Kernel Sanders
May 23rd, 2006, 05:36 PM
I just went to my girlfriend's graduation. There was a student speaker and the theme of her talk was Ubuntu (the Zulu word meaning "I am what I am because all of us together or something") She must have said Ubuntu about 15 times. It's the only time I've heard the word outside of linux (or by accidentally going to Ubuntu.org).

I thought it was funny, but my girlfriend said she was used to hearing the word "Ubuntu" 15 times in one day (from me) and wasn't impressed.

The celebrity speaker was the chick who wrote The Vagina Monologues. No word on her operating system of choice.

The speaker probably got the whole concept of Ubuntu from Ubuntu.com, and tried to impress everyone with her seemingly amazing knowledge of relatively obscure african concepts. I'll bet she was banking on practically no-one in the audience being a Linux user/having ever heard of Ubuntu.

Since you are not only a Linux, but Ubuntu user, i'd say she has been well and truely BUSTED :mrgreen:

helpme
May 23rd, 2006, 05:42 PM
The speaker probably got the whole concept of Ubuntu from Ubuntu.com, and tried to impress everyone with her seemingly amazing knowledge of relatively obscure african concepts.
I doubt that (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0829811583/103-6821126-7032658)

n3tfury
May 23rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
The speaker probably got the whole concept of Ubuntu from Ubuntu.com, and tried to impress everyone with her seemingly amazing knowledge of relatively obscure african concepts.

/sarcasm

right.

/sarcasm

ate50eggs
May 23rd, 2006, 07:18 PM
In retrospect, I'm guessing Ubuntu may be something of a buzzword for undergrads studying international relations / international development. Ever hear of that book Getting to Yes. Yeah, turns out it's not about pickup lines.