PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Asus 1215b - 11.04 installed but doesn't boot

Vaphell
July 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
so i bought 1215b
it had 4 partitions C (100G), D(350+), recovery (16) and most likely EFI partition.

I created a liveusb, installed 11.04 in place of D (/, swap, /home)
Everything went fine but the computer boots straight to win7 after restart.
I googled the crap out of '1215b {linux,ubuntu,efi}' but there are very few informative resources on the topic at hand, if any.
In one thread on UbuForums someone had similar problem and supposedly reinstalling grub2 should help but i also read somewhere that efi support currently is botched and ubuntu will overwrite the efi partition with its own data, which will make win7 unbootable. Not sure if that's true and if that's the problem if grub2 works/takes over, but i don't want to perform any potentially destructive procedures.
Also when i boot into liveusb and run gparted, it seems that the efi partition is not recognized (reportedly it should be). The only flag set is 'boot' on win7 C: partition.

Any foolproof procedure to make the damn thing working? I don't feel like owning $500 paperweight where the only advantage over $0 rock is slightly useful 'win7 mode'.

Quackers
July 22nd, 2011, 12:49 PM
Vaphell, do a search for recent posts by srs5694. He has dealt with a few of these recently :-)

Gustav Nilsson
July 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
I had the same problem as you, and solved it by pressing ESC during the boot screen and choose the normal usb boot (not EFI or what it was called). Then I re-installed grub. Since then booth windows and ubuntu have been working fine.

Vaphell
July 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
yup, all i needed was running 2 commands from liveusb

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

Quackers
July 23rd, 2011, 06:34 PM
Interesting :-)

franciskyong
July 28th, 2011, 04:32 AM
so i bought 1215b
it had 4 partitions C (100G), D(350+), recovery (16) and most likely EFI partition.

I created a liveusb, installed 11.04 in place of D (/, swap, /home)
Everything went fine but the computer boots straight to win7 after restart.
I googled the crap out of '1215b {linux,ubuntu,efi}' but there are very few informative resources on the topic at hand, if any.
In one thread on UbuForums someone had similar problem and supposedly reinstalling grub2 should help but i also read somewhere that efi support currently is botched and ubuntu will overwrite the efi partition with its own data, which will make win7 unbootable. Not sure if that's true and if that's the problem if grub2 works/takes over, but i don't want to perform any potentially destructive procedures.
Also when i boot into liveusb and run gparted, it seems that the efi partition is not recognized (reportedly it should be). The only flag set is 'boot' on win7 C: partition.

Any foolproof procedure to make the damn thing working? I don't feel like owning $500 paperweight where the only advantage over $0 rock is slightly useful 'win7 mode'.

This is what I managed to do :Boot from liveusb , >install inside windows>RESTART
Now in Windows ( usb stick still plugged in ) open Wubi installer and choose 'Install inside Windows' and take it from there.On the next restart you'll have a choice of Windows or Ubuntu.