PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PCI Startup problems

Brad72
July 22nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
Hi there,

I have a PC which I am trying to install Lubuntu 11.04 on.

The PC used to have a 4Gig Hard drive as Master and a 80 Gig as another drive and had Ubuntu 9.04 installed. I have since removed the 4 Gig drive and made the 80gig the master (the BIOS is showing it as Master now also). Since then I installed the Lubuntu installation but the PC will not boot the OS, just freezes at 'PCI device listings' screen. The PC will run Live CD version so I assume it has something to do with the boot-up of OS or the Hard drive needs some sort of adjustment.

I have included Boot info script results as attachment.

Your assistance would be appreciated.

dino99
July 22nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
how is the hdd jumper set ? master or else ?

Brad72
July 22nd, 2011, 01:57 PM
The HDD jumper is set as Master as per diagram on HDD label. The HDD is a Seagate and jumped across the 2 pins closest to the IDE cable connector. Maybe I should try some other options, do you suggest?

Additional info....

The HDD is connected with a dual connection IDE cable connected to the centre (first in line) connector. The system is showing the 80 gig HDD as the master on top of screen during PCI device listing. The BIOS is set to 'fail safe default' of floppy , HDD, then CD. I have tried other options but no luck.

dino99
July 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
hdd have to be the booting bios choice of course, not floppy.

Brad72
July 22nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
Fixed that and still no boot. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Time isn't an issue after all I have probably spent a month of a nights after work trying to get this damn thing going. Not bad considering I was doing it to start with to kill a couple of hours on a lazy Sunday.