PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox and Chromium, a Linux virus?

kenny_lex
July 21st, 2011, 10:00 PM
I like Google Chrome, I had some problems with Chromium and With Firefox so I do not want any of those in my system, but if I uninstall Firefox then Chromium is installed and if I uninstall Chromium then Firefox get installed.

Why is it so and can I uninstall in such way that I just has Google Chrome on my system? I do use Ubuntu 11.04 - the Natty Narwhal.

raja.genupula
July 22nd, 2011, 02:36 AM
we cant say that its a virus man , but after doing uninstall was it prompt you any thing ?

kenny_lex
July 22nd, 2011, 02:50 AM
Well, it maybe not is a virus like in "virus", but it is hard to get rid of,I did not installed it and I do not want it on my system if I not can get a exploitation for why they do a rather forceful installation.

akand074
July 22nd, 2011, 02:55 AM
That shouldn't happen. How are you uninstalling it? software centre? Try using synaptic package manager or run the command

sudo apt-get remove firefox
sudo apt-get remove chromium

I've never heard of this happening, maybe some sort of bug? You might want to report the bug if you can't manage to remove it.

bhaverkamp
July 22nd, 2011, 02:56 AM
I ran into something like this a while back. I think the package manager is trying to make sure a browser is installed. I believe that when this happens it's only a suggestion which can be overridden. If not falling back to the commandline dpkg to remove the packages should get around that problem. I actually have chrome, firefox, epiphany, and opera installed as backups for when web pages don't work as expected.

bhaverkamp
July 22nd, 2011, 03:11 AM
I just tried this on a natty VM. It worked. I now have a browser free system.

kenny_lex
July 22nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
DaUser@Ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get remove chromium
[sudo] password for DaUser:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Virtual packages like 'chromium' can't be removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
DaUser@Ubuntu:~$

Still can not remove chromium and "Package firefox is not installed, so not removed" when I try; but now I know that it is a "Virtual package" but not why I have a virtual package in my system.

dino99
July 22nd, 2011, 10:19 AM
remove the meta package first: ubuntu-desktop

akand074
July 22nd, 2011, 08:29 PM
DaUser@Ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get remove chromium
[sudo] password for DaUser:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Virtual packages like 'chromium' can't be removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
DaUser@Ubuntu:~$

Still can not remove chromium and "Package firefox is not installed, so not removed" when I try; but now I know that it is a "Virtual package" but not why I have a virtual package in my system.

I think it needs to actually be

sudo apt-get remove chromium-browser

if that doesn't work try

sudo dpkg -r chromium-browser

Again you can search and run "Synaptic Package Manager" to do the same.

kenny_lex
July 24th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Thank you for the answer, but I decided to keep the chromium on my system but hide the icon until I find a better Linux distro that give users more control over the installation, like give them option what browser they want and if they want sill MS-games and a full office packet when they only shall have a minimal system for GPS navigation and communication.