PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Samsung SCX 4521F install in Natty

hodad
July 21st, 2011, 07:54 PM
Background: I upgraded to Natty, and after trying Unity for a while, gave up in frustration, and reverted to Classic desktop. Worked good, except for an annoying bug (no scrollbar in several apps). This caused me to return to Unity, where I noticed the printer stopped working. Went to Synaptic, and uninstalled samsung printer related stuff, to try and reinstall.

Now I'm lost, and the encyclopedia of online help on the subject almost guarantees that I will spend the next week dedicated to getting the thing to work again.

Simple question:

Is there a simple procedure to go thru to get my printer working again? I'm a long time Ubuntu user, but I'm afraid that anything to do with setup remains a mystery to me, and sends me into a week of dead ends. I can and do use terminal, but have always been frustrated by my inability to understand the basics of Ubuntu programming/setup (I'm not the brightest bulb on the block).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

hodad
July 21st, 2011, 08:16 PM
YAY!\\:D/

I actually solved the problem ON MY OWN!

All I did was go to the "Printer" icon under "System" in Unity, and DELETED the existing Samsung 4521F printer (which had a nasty red exclamation mark over it).

Then I just chose +ADD, and was asked (can't remember exact wording) if I wanted to install a new printer driver. Then I navigated thru the choices for the 4521F, and the printer came back online.

I'm so relieved that I didn't have to try fixing in the terminal, trying hundreds of lines of code to modify countless setup files in various locations to no avail! ( I did that a couple of years ago on the same printer; what a nightmare!).

Goes to show that you should exhaust the simplest methods first...