PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good touchscreen keyboard program.

Cammaaron
July 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM
I got a dell inspirion duo, and one of the nice things it has is the screen is a touch-screen and is a tablet hybrid.

I would like to know in your option, would be a better touchscreen keyboard then onboard.

ninjaaron
July 21st, 2011, 08:06 PM
I got a dell inspirion duo, and one of the nice things it has is the screen is a touch-screen and is a tablet hybrid.

I would like to know in your option, would be a better touchscreen keyboard then onboard.

Florence is what people will say.

What is your objection to onboard? I've made a layout for it that works great and isn't ugly.

P.S. I also have a duo, and i've got some scripts for it that you might like.

Cammaaron
July 23rd, 2011, 05:22 AM
Florence is what people will say.

What is your objection to onboard? I've made a layout for it that works great and isn't ugly.

P.S. I also have a duo, and i've got some scripts for it that you might like.

Nothing really. Just seeing what else could be out there. I have seen other on-screenboards on the software center and other places but I would like to know where to start.

I didn't think about scripts for existing onscreen keyboards as well.

ninjaaron
July 23rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Nothing really. Just seeing what else could be out there. I have seen other on-screenboards on the software center and other places but I would like to know where to start.

I didn't think about scripts for existing onscreen keyboards as well.

The scripts do all kinds of things, not only involved with the keyboard, but as far as the keyboard is concerned, it makes sure that they draw in the right dimensions and location depending on the screen orientation. They also make the cursor disappear when using the duo as a tablet and turn on a panel (which I have filled with launchers to facilitate touch-screen usage). I also have scripts for controlling screen rotation and brightness from launcher buttons.

Anyway, here (http://ubuntuone.com/p/15yF/) are my layout files for onboard. If you copy the individual files into ~/.sok/layouts, they will appear in the available layouts in the onboard settings dialogue. You can also navigate to this folder from the dialogue itself.

Here is a picture of what it looks like on my computer after I did some tricks with compiz to take away the window controls and add transparency:
http://ubuntuone.com/p/15yI/

If you want any of the other scripts, let me know.