PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do I use the set user ID bit?

wwwookie
July 21st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hi all, I'm writing a python program that occasionally needs root privileges so I decided to have a look at the SUID bit with a small bash script. I'm not getting the results I want. Here's the script:-

#! /bin/bash

echo 'UID = '$UID
echo 'EUID = '$EUID

if touch /foo; then
echo 'touched /foo'
rm /foo
echo 'removed /foo'
else
echo 'failed to touch /foo'
fiWhen I run it as a normal user I get stopped from writing in the root partition as expected:-

$ ls -l
total 4
-rwxr-xr-x 1 wookie wookie 173 2011-07-21 12:10 ids.sh
$ ./ids.sh
UID = 1000
EUID = 1000
touch: cannot touch `/foo': Permission denied
failed to touch /fooWhen I run it with sudo it works, again as expected:-

$ sudo ./ids.sh
UID = 0
EUID = 0
touched /foo
removed /fooNow if I make root own it and set the SUID bit, I was expecting to get privileges when I ran it as a normal user but to no avail:-

$ sudo chown root ids.sh
$ sudo chmod u+s ids.sh
$ ls -l
total 4
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root wookie 173 2011-07-21 12:10 ids.sh
$ ./ids.sh
UID = 1000
EUID = 1000
touch: cannot touch `/foo': Permission denied
failed to touch /fooI tried the same with owner and group set to root, but still no joy

What am I doing wrong?:confused:

Bachstelze
July 21st, 2011, 12:45 PM
The setuid bit does not work on scripts, as a security measure. There's no way around that, no need to ask.

wwwookie
July 21st, 2011, 12:52 PM
Now That has saved me a bit of time! I originally ran into the problem with python though - do I take it what you said applies to python scripts too?

Bachstelze
July 21st, 2011, 12:54 PM
Yes it applies to everything you run with a "shebang" line. Though of course the easy way around is to make a C program with a single system() call that runs your script (basically wha tsudo does), but there is no way to run the script directly.

wwwookie
July 21st, 2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks a lot Bachstelze, that's probably the quickest response I've ever had - have a nice afternoon.