PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why doesn't Ubuntu Respond

fridal8
July 21st, 2011, 10:54 AM
I've just installed ubuntu 11.04 alongside windows 7, and it installed fine seemingly, but when I try to switch windows from for example firefox to the menu on top, nothing will respond. Right now I'm in firefox and everything in this window responds okay, but I can't minimize, maximize, I can't move the window and i can't switch between programs, shortcuts(alt tab) doesn't work every time.

And with every program I run this seems to be the problem. Sometimes hitting the esc key works, sometimes it dont. And I frequently have to use the tab key to get around because using my mouse won't work when I click on something.

I think Ubuntu seems like a great OS, but if I can't use I properly, there's no reason for me to continue using it.

ajgreeny
July 21st, 2011, 12:23 PM
I've just installed ubuntu 11.04 alongside windows 7, and it installed fine seemingly, but when I try to switch windows from for example firefox to the menu on top, nothing will respond. Right now I'm in firefox and everything in this window responds okay, but I can't minimize, maximize, I can't move the window and i can't switch between programs, shortcuts(alt tab) doesn't work every time.

And with every program I run this seems to be the problem. Sometimes hitting the esc key works, sometimes it dont. And I frequently have to use the tab key to get around because using my mouse won't work when I click on something.

I think Ubuntu seems like a great OS, but if I can't use I properly, there's no reason for me to continue using it.
I don't totally understand your problem, for example, what do you mean by:-

but when I try to switch windows from for example firefox to the menu on top, nothing will respond.
Perhaps this is a problem of "global menus" where all the menus that were on the window title bar, File, Edit, etc etc, are now in the panel at the top of the screen. A stupid arrangement, if you ask me, but some users seem to manage it OK.

If you are using Unity with the launcher bar on the left of the screen, just about everything is done differently, and you will need to re-learn how to do things, or if that does not appeal to you, login to the classic-desktop from the session menu, which appears after choosing username at the login screen.

fridal8
July 21st, 2011, 04:29 PM
Its not just from firefox to the menu, it can be any program. If I watch a movie I cant get back to the desktop etc. It seems that after a certain time or after something I do, Ill be stuck in the program I'm currently in.

ajgreeny
July 21st, 2011, 09:02 PM
Its not just from firefox to the menu, it can be any program. If I watch a movie I cant get back to the desktop etc. It seems that after a certain time or after something I do, Ill be stuck in the program I'm currently in.
I am not sure if what you mean is a designed in part of unity, nor do I know what you mean by "from firefox to the menu" as I don't use unity, but nevertheless have a good look at Power User's Guide to Unity (http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity) just in case it answers your question properly.

I find unity a complete mess, and even after having looked through many web sites like that one I posted, I still can not get to grips with it. Everything I do takes a lot longer or needs many more mouse clicks to do the same thing that I could do with a single click, eg in the window list of gnome 2, I can instantly move between any of the many windows which are already open, some minimised, some on different workspaces etc etc. That now takes me a while to figure out how to do the same, and then takes several clicks to actually do it.

Sorry unity devs, but it is simply not my cup of tea.