PDA

View Full Version : Python - copying files without "modifying"

heinz1231
July 21st, 2011, 10:21 AM
My question is very simple, but I can't find a reasonable solution.

For my purposes, I need to be able to use some Python function or module or something, anything, to be able to copy a file from one location to another without changing the "last modified" statistic attached to the file in the properties.

Copying files normally (using the usual point-and-click methods in Ubuntu 11.04) does not change the "last modified" time on a file. However, curiously enough, using the 'cp' command to perform the same action via the terminal does change the "last modified" time, as does the shutil module (keep in mind I am referring to the mod time of the newly created file)

I'm just confused as to how and why the mod time of the new file is changing when I copy certain ways, and staying the same as the original when I copy other ways.

Basically, I am looking for some code I can use to copy files in Python and keep the new file's mod time identical to its original file. Also, I sort of need a cross-platform solution. Any help is appreciated!

sectshun8
July 21st, 2011, 10:30 AM
cp -p

heinz1231
July 21st, 2011, 10:32 AM
Yup. I totally just read an article about 'cp -p' and shutil.copy2() about 5 minutes after posting. Huh, I guess I didn't research hard enough before asking. Python Docs ftw. Thanks, appreciate it :)