PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit Installation

livelong
July 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM
Dear All,

I have just bought AMD Athlon 64 bit 2x +4400 Dual Core CPU,40 GB Sata with 512 RAM.I want

to install Latest Ubuntu alongside Winxp. Have downloaded 11.04 Ubuntu 64 bit from Ubuntu

site. I tried the Live CD on system and it boots the system ok and shows the desktop but

before I could check network,audio and graphics the system stopped responding. I Want to

know if 11.04 64 bit work fine on my hardware (no driver problem).Secondly I have 10GB partition to install ubuntu, what swap,root sized should I assign to the partition.

Any help will be appreciated.

cbanakis
July 21st, 2011, 09:46 AM
Everything should be compatible.

Since the system is new, you may want to run some tests on the RAM.
Incorrect timing settings, or defective RAM can easily cause any system to hang.
Your video card can also be the culprit.

As for partition size, I would suggest using the whole 10gb you have.
(Otherwise I'd say around 20, depending on what your using it for)

Also, you really should not need to run 64bit Ubuntu.
I started out with that mindset because of windows, but everything works just fine in 32bit.

64bit also may cause some issues with 3rd party software, and some more exotic hardware drivers.

cbanakis
July 21st, 2011, 09:48 AM
oh, and stick to automatic partitions setting in Ubuntu setup, unless you really know what your doing.
Ubuntu setup is the only thing Ive ever went through, where I clicked on "expert settings"
then though, "wow, that really is for experts"

RickJC
July 21st, 2011, 10:24 AM
Hi all I thought I'd post in here then start a new thread.

I'm wanting to install Ubuntu next to my Win7 OS (dual boot) on my Alienware Laptop, however I would like it to choose Win7 as the default instead of Ubuntu. Anyone know how to do that? In previous attempts it's always put Ubuntu as the defeult.