PDA

View Full Version : Programming Challenge

jramshu
July 21st, 2011, 05:14 AM
I know the first challenge is old to all you guys, but it is the first time I sat down and wrote, compiled and debugged anything that I didn't copy from a book, or the internet. It took me a little time getting it to compile right. I had several errors at first.

I have been reading books on C, and how it looks in assembly. The bigger picture they say. LOL, it's a brain full.

So, since I am a beginner at this, I figured I should start at the beginning and since the thread is closed I figured it may be ok to post a thread about it. Kind of exciting getting it to compile and run. It probably looks butchered to all you advanced folks, have mercy. LOL.

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
int i;
i = 99;

for(i; i >= 2; i--)
printf("%d bottles of beer on the wall,\n%d bottles of beer,\ntake one down, pass it around,\n",i ,i);

if(i = 1);
printf("One bottle of beer on the wall,\none bottle of beer,\ntake it down, pass it around,\n");
if(i = 0);
printf("no more bottles of beer on the wall.\n");

return 0;
}

EDIT: Can't get it to line up right here, but is fine in editor.

EDIT: Added a part I missed in the song.

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
int i;
i = 99;
for(i; i >= 2; i--)
printf("\n%d bottles of beer on the wall,\n%d bottles of beer,\ntake one down, pass it around,\n%d bottles of beer on the wall.\n",i ,i, i-1);
if(i == 1);
printf("\nOne bottle of beer on the wall,\none bottle of beer,\ntake it down, pass it around,\n");
if(i == 0);
printf("\nNo more bottles of beer on the wall.\n");

return 0;
}

EDIT: Well crap, it's still a little off. It still show "1 bottles."
EDIT: I changed the bottom codes spacing so it would be easier to read in terminal, still got the "1 bottles" though.

robgraves
July 21st, 2011, 05:33 AM
i'm not entirely sure what your're asking, but i copied your code and got a compile error and realized you don't have int in front of main() on line 3, my edited version of your code compiled fine and ran fine:

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
int i;
i = 99;

for(i; i >= 2; i--)
printf("%d bottles of beer on the wall,\n%d bottles of beer,\ntake one down, pass it around,\n",i ,i);

if(i = 1);
printf("One bottle of beer on the wall,\none bottle of beer,\ntake it down, pass it around,\n");
if(i = 0);

return 0;
}

hope that helps.

jramshu
July 21st, 2011, 05:56 AM
Thanks, I changed it. It doesn't make any difference when I compile it though.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to get it to stop using "bottles" when it gets to one. That's where I am stuck. I'm tinkering with some stuff on it but haven't ran across it yet.

lisati
July 21st, 2011, 05:59 AM
Thanks, I changed it. It doesn't make any difference when I compile it though.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to get it to stop using "bottles" when it gets to one. That's where I am stuck. I'm tinkering with some stuff on it but haven't ran across it yet.

I suspect a stray semicolon, amongst other things:

if(i = 1);

lisati
July 21st, 2011, 06:05 AM
I loaded the supplied source into Codeblocks, made a couple of minor tweaks related to stray semicolons (there are a couple of other minor tweaks that could be done), and came up with the following which seems to work perfectly:

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
int i;
i = 99;

for(i; i >= 2; i--)

if(i = 1)
if(i = 0)

return 0;
}

Edit: just noticed: the tests should be:

if(i == 1)
and

if(i == 0)
which leaves one more tweak: decrement between the tests. This is left as an exercise for the reader.

jramshu
July 21st, 2011, 06:06 AM
I suspect a stray semicolon, amongst other things:

When I take the semi-colon out it doesn't make it past the first 'if' statement. Then I completely lose the 'if(i = 0)' and it's printf() funtion.

I am an amateur at this and appreciate the input. I need it. I'm sure my syntax is incorrect.

EDIT: Thanks, was posting while you were posting. I appreciate the help, am going to make changes and recompile it.

lisati
July 21st, 2011, 06:09 AM
When I take the semi-colon out it doesn't make it past the first 'if' statement. Then I completely lose the 'if(i = 0)' and it's printf() funtion.

I am an amateur at this and appreciate the input. I need it. I'm sure my syntax is incorrect.

EDIT: Thanks, was posting while you were posting. I appreciate the help, am going to make changes and recompile it.

Don't sweat it: I'm relatively inexperienced with C as well, it wasn't an option when I started learning ForTran many years ago using punched cards.

jramshu
July 21st, 2011, 06:21 AM
This is how I have it now. I had already caught the "==" a few minutes earlier. This output looks better and the only thing I'm left with is the "1 bottles" instead of it being "1 bottle." I'll will keep on it though.

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
int i;
i = 99;

for(i; i >= 2; i--)
printf("\n%d bottles of beer on the wall,\n%d bottles of beer,\ntake one down, pass it around,\n%d bottles of beer on the wall.\n",i ,i ,i-1);
if(i == 1)
printf("\nOne bottle of beer on the wall,\none bottle of beer,\ntake it down, pass it around,\n");
printf("\nNo more bottles of beer on the wall.\n");

return 0;
}

Had to put the semi's back in there to get the output right. Without them on the "if(i==0)" it doesn't print out the "No more bottles of beer on the wall."

EDIT: Removed "if(i == 0);"

Bachstelze
July 21st, 2011, 06:33 AM
Had to put the semi's back in there to get the output right. Without them on the "if(i==0)" it doesn't print out the "No more bottles of beer on the wall."

Then you might as well delete it altogether because

if(i == 0);

or more eloquently

if(i == 0)
;

Means "if i equals 0, do nothing". So it may as well not be there at all. ;)

jramshu
July 21st, 2011, 06:49 AM
Then you might as well delete it altogether because

if(i == 0);

or more eloquently

if(i == 0)
;

Means "if i equals 0, do nothing". So it may as well not be there at all. ;)

I getcha now. I removed it. Thanks.

jramshu
July 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
Does anyone know the correct way to get it to run and when it gets to "take one down, pass it around, 1 bottles of beer on the wall" to drop the plural and just say "bottle"?

EDIT: I guess I could read through all the posts that are written in C and 'cheat.' LOL

JupiterV2
July 21st, 2011, 03:05 PM
One such solution is:

for (i = 2; i > 0; i++) {
printf ("Bottle%c\n", i > 1 ? 's' : '');
}

It's a little hacky but it gets the job done.

Bachstelze
July 21st, 2011, 03:24 PM
One such solution is:

for (i = 2; i > 0; i++) {
printf ("Bottle%c\n", i > 1 ? 's' : '');
}

It's a little hacky but it gets the job done.

Actually no, it does not.

firas@aoba ~ % cat test.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
for (int i=2; i>0; i--) {
printf("%d bottle%c\n", i, i > 1 ? 's' : '');
}
return 0;
}
firas@aoba ~ % cc -std=c99 -o test test.c
test.c:6:58: error: empty character constant

Remember that a character really is an integer, so you must give it a value, it can't be empty like a string.

(Also for (i=2; i>0; i++) is going to run for a long time.)

jramshu
July 23rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll experiment with them and see how I come out.

ziekfiguur
July 23rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
instead of using a character in the ternary operator use a string, than it should work

printf("%d bottle%s\n", i, i > 1 ? "s" : "");

Also, remove the if in front of the last two print statements, after the for loop i will always be 1, there's no need to test for it.

here is a version i just wrote, it took me a lot longer than it should, i should really practise more.

;nasm -f elf64 beer.asm
;ld beer.o

section .text
global _start
_start:
mov rbx, 99
loop:
call print
sub rbx, 1
cmp rbx, 2
jge loop

mov rax, 1
mov rsi, onebeer
mov rdx, onebeerlen
syscall
mov rax,1
mov rsi, nobeer
mov rdx, nobeerlen
syscall
mov rax, 60 ; exit syscall
xor rdi, rdi; return value 0
syscall

print:
call printn_calc
mov rax, 1
mov rsi, beer1
mov rdx, beer1len
syscall
mov rsi, [printn_start]
call printn_print
mov rax, 1
mov rsi, beer2
mov rdx, beer2len
syscall
ret

printn_calc:
mov rax, rbx
mov rsi, printn_buf + 64
mov rcx, 10
printn_loop:
xor rdx, rdx
div rcx ; divide rdx:rax by rcx, rax will hold the quotient, rdx the remainder
add rdx, 0x30 ; ascii numbers are valued 0x30 to 0x39
dec rsi
mov byte [rsi], dl
cmp rax, 0
jg printn_loop
mov [printn_start], rsi
mov rdi, 1 ; write to stdout
printn_print:
mov rax, 1 ; write syscall
mov rdx, printn_buf + 64
sub rdx, rsi
syscall
ret

section .data
beer1 db " bottles of beer on the wall,", 0xa
beer1len equ $ - beer1
beer2 db " bottles of beer,", 0xa, "take one down, pass it around,", 0xa
beer2len equ $ - beer2

onebeer db "One bottle of beer on the wall,",0xa,"one bottle of beer,",0xa,"take it down, pass it around,", 0xa
onebeerlen equ $ - onebeer
nobeer db "no more bottles of beer on the wall.", 0xa
nobeerlen equ $ - nobeer

section .bss
printn_buf resb 64
printn_start resq 1