PDA

View Full Version : OS X -- did they copy Gnome 3?

cprofitt
July 21st, 2011, 03:24 AM
With as lawsuit happy as Apple is I would love to see the FSF take them to court...

Given that... I am curious if others think Mission Control appears to copy Gnome 3 a bit too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6oXZSQeGbk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHLnjzX6lX4

Famicube64
July 21st, 2011, 03:30 AM
Everything copied Linux. This is common knowledge.

Quadunit404
July 21st, 2011, 03:30 AM
Lion didn't copy anything from GNOME 3 and many of its features were demonstrated last summer.

So the answer is, no.

Legendary_Bibo
July 21st, 2011, 03:33 AM
Gnome Shell sucks, OSX is great, so no. They didn't copy them.

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
July 21st, 2011, 03:34 AM
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...... but "no" is still the correct answer.

unknownPoster
July 21st, 2011, 03:42 AM
If anything Ubuntu, more specifically Shuttleworth, wants to copy OSX. You can see him say as much in one of the comments on bug #1.

cprofitt
July 21st, 2011, 03:44 AM
Lion didn't copy anything from GNOME 3 and many of its features were demonstrated last summer.

So the answer is, no.

When did Gnome 3 first poke its head out of the sand?

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2011, 04:05 AM
Mission control is just a refinement of what already existed in Snow leopard. So no they did not copy Gnome 3

Dustin2128
July 21st, 2011, 05:00 AM
Gnome shell is actually quite good- have you used it for more than 5 minutes? :roll:
The main reasons I don't use it are that it's not quite as customizable as gnome 2 yet, and multi-monitor support sucks. All of which I'd guess is going to have improved to the point at which we'll look insane after some necromancer revives this thread 5 years from now.

Queue29
July 21st, 2011, 07:14 AM
Gnome shell is actually quite good- have you used it for more than 5 minutes? :roll:
The main reasons I don't use it are that it's not quite as customizable as gnome 2 yet, and multi-monitor support sucks. All of which I'd guess is going to have improved to the point at which we'll look insane after some necromancer revives this thread 5 years from now.

You claim favor to something and then start listing off reasons why you don't use it. You have a strange way of presenting an argument.

MonolithImmortal
July 21st, 2011, 07:33 AM
There are major similarities. The launchpad looks kind of like gnome shell's dash, but dash in turn looks like iOS or android (or any other tablet/smartphone interface). The Mission control only is like Gnome Shell in that you can add more desktops easily. The way Apple implements it is more like the early versions of Gnome shell that had a + button to add a new desktop on the fly.

Gnome Shell was released before Lion, and has been in open development for a long time, so it's conceivable that the guys at Apple saw what the Gnome team were doing and thought they had some neat ideas. I certainly wouldn't say it's a complete copy or rip off though.

Dustin2128
July 21st, 2011, 07:44 AM
You claim favor to something and then start listing off reasons why you don't use it. You have a strange way of presenting an argument.
Yeah, I know. It's just that so many people rip on gnome shell without ever having tried it- it's somewhat tricky to get working with stock ubuntu natty.

slooksterpsv
July 21st, 2011, 07:49 AM
I just love this one on their page:

Overlay scroll bars
The new overlay scroll bars appear when you need them and fade away when you don’t, resulting in a more streamlined experience.

I hate Apple, they disgust me.

MonolithImmortal
July 21st, 2011, 07:55 AM
Oh wow, I didn't realize that Lion had overlay scroll bars. Cue "Ubuntu copied Apple" nonsense.

Giant Speck
July 21st, 2011, 08:47 AM
The real question here is "who the hell cares?" Seriously.

Drenriza
July 21st, 2011, 08:55 AM

I disagree. If the gnome shell "sucks" then perhaps you use it incorrectly?

On the other hand, Mac OS X sucks.
Is their any standard paint utility? No.
The standard text editor, is useless.
OS X dock panel = Cairo-dock. "Apple: UPS we took it and gave nothing back?"
IS their a default rar extractor? No.

And so on and on.

el_koraco
July 21st, 2011, 09:10 AM
Nup, the basic metaphor is different. GS lives in its 'Mission Control', and therefore restructures the desktop interaction, whereas this is just an addition to the typical OSX desktop - I doubt Apple would want to reinvent their navigation model, the users would freak out.

KiwiNZ
July 21st, 2011, 09:13 AM
This has turned into a Troll fest.

COC....

Trolling is posting in a way that provokes emotional responses.
Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them.

Thread closed