PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Processor Upgrade Question

UCSBGauchosRock
July 21st, 2011, 12:54 AM
Greetings

Just a quick question, which I hope has a relatively simple answer. I am going to be using ubuntu 11.04 and later upgrading to 11.10 when it is released. Going from a laptop with a 1.6GHz Pentium M to a desktop with a 2.8GHz Pentium D will I notice much of a difference in Ubuntu in terms of performance with unity, etc... It's pretty clear that the Pentium D will perform better but will it be noticeable and is it worth it?

drewdle
July 21st, 2011, 01:49 AM
I don't expect you'd see much difference. My P4 2.8Ghz machine doesn't run any faster than my 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo machine when it comes to just puttering around, although that is comparing two processors that are six years apart. I think you'd see a difference is you regularly do processor intensive work, so encoding audio and video, compressing images, working with huge compressed files, etc.

If by "faster" you mean how snappy the interface is, I think that's more dependent on your system memory and your graphics card, especially seeing as though Unity uses graphics acceleration.

Hope my two cents help. :D

UCSBGauchosRock
July 21st, 2011, 08:08 AM

Interesting, but really I just need a good processor to run/edit 720p and possibly 1080p video smoothly, accompanied by a decent gpu of course and I have heard bad things about the 820 so far in that sense.

mastablasta
July 21st, 2011, 08:19 AM
depends on graphic card/chip