PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Former Ubuntu user cannot return on his ASUS

Flash Kid
July 20th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Greetings beloved Linux users. I had grown accustomed to using Ubuntu on my laptop for the longest time when a nasty virus screwed up my boot sectors on my HP Desktop. I finally bought a nicer computer with Windows 7 back in November of 2010, but I'm having difficulties trying to install Ubuntu onto it.

Here are some specs:

Model: Asus CM5571 Desktop PC 64-bit
Processor: Intel Pentium E5400 / 2.7 GHz Dual-Core (yes, a Pentium)
RAM: 6 GB DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics: Intel GMA X4500 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0
Sound Card: Intel HD Audio

I'll be willing to provide more if needed

So, I started off trying to load the Ubuntu 10.04 CD I received from the free shipping service off of the Ubuntu website, and that would not boot. It seemed to hang after trying to scan my 500 GB external. So I unplugged that,rebooted, and it seemed to hang on my USB hub. I unplug that, rebooted, and it hangs after trying to making "calls" or something to devices. Not sure at all what is going on there.

I figured I might need a 64-bit edition so I go to the website and burn an ISO of Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit. The same thing happens. I then begin experimenting with the boot options (acpi=off, etc.) and none of that seems to work either.

Out of desperation, I find an old 8.04 CD and try to boot from that. It gets past the loading bar but boots into BusyBox only.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

FK

MAFoElffen
July 20th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Greetings beloved Linux users. I had grown accustomed to using Ubuntu on my laptop for the longest time when a nasty virus screwed up my boot sectors on my HP Desktop. I finally bought a nicer computer with Windows 7 back in November of 2010, but I'm having difficulties trying to install Ubuntu onto it.

Here are some specs:

Model: Asus CM5571 Desktop PC 64-bit
Processor: Intel Pentium E5400 / 2.7 GHz Dual-Core (yes, a Pentium)
RAM: 6 GB DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics: Intel GMA X4500 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0
Sound Card: Intel HD Audio

I'll be willing to provide more if needed

So, I started off trying to load the Ubuntu 10.04 CD I received from the free shipping service off of the Ubuntu website, and that would not boot. It seemed to hang after trying to scan my 500 GB external. So I unplugged that,rebooted, and it seemed to hang on my USB hub. I unplug that, rebooted, and it hangs after trying to making "calls" or something to devices. Not sure at all what is going on there.

I figured I might need a 64-bit edition so I go to the website and burn an ISO of Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit. The same thing happens. I then begin experimenting with the boot options (acpi=off, etc.) and none of that seems to work either.

Out of desperation, I find an old 8.04 CD and try to boot from that. It gets past the loading bar but boots into BusyBox only.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

FK
Just poling for info to answer you...

- What version do you "want" to end up with installed?

- Does it boot the graphics and run okay if you use the "try" option of the LiveCD?

Flash Kid
July 23rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
Just poling for info to answer you...

- What version do you "want" to end up with installed?

- Does it boot the graphics and run okay if you use the "try" option of the LiveCD?

I want to end up with version 10.04 for now because I'm not a Unity fan. The LiveCD "try" option also doesn't boot. I'm starting to wonder if this is a problem with my BIOS?

FK

P.S. Maybe try alternative CD?

2F4U
July 23rd, 2011, 09:32 AM
You may wish to look into this post. There seems to be people with the same problem that you and on page two there seems to be a possible workaround:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1398377&page=2

Flash Kid
August 14th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the response! I'm actually out of the country now, but when I get back, I'll give that a shot. Have a nice day.

FK

Duck2006
September 22nd, 2011, 10:07 PM
I am using 9.04 on a AUSU now and find it works ok