PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cups-pdf works for one user, not for another

henrylaw
July 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
There are two user accounts on my Ubuntu Lucid desktop system. One (mine) can print to a PDF via cups-pdf (version 2.5.0-12); the other (my wife's) cannot.

When I try from her account no PDF is created and /var/log/cups/cups-pdf_log contains the dreaded "[ERROR] failed to set file mode for PDF file (non fatal)" message.

These are both normal user accounts
henry:x:1000:1000:henry,,,:/home/henry:/bin/bash
hername:x:1001:100:Hername,,,,:/d/u/Foo:/bin/bash
Her account is a member of all the groups that mine is a member of (and some others, in fact). The only obvious differences between the two is that her home directory isn't /home/hername but in a different file system (see above), and her primary group is one called "users" (100), of which I am also a member. A directory called PDF exists in her home directory.
drwxrwxr-x 2 hername users 4096 2011-07-20 15:35 /d/u/Foo/PDF
The cups configuration contains 'Out ${HOME}/PDF' (and in any case it works for me), and and apparmor configuration for cups contains '@{HOME}/PDF/ rw,' (ditto).

The backend has what I believe to be the right permissions (and in any case ... it works for me)
-rwx------ 1 root root 27072 2009-11-30 20:21 /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf
This looks like some obscure permissions/group membership problem but I've exhausted all the things I can think of to try. Can someone suggest where to look next?

I don't need to tell you the earache I'm getting over this ...