PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OS Traffic Jam

DrWhoFan2011
July 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I originally had two Ubuntu Linux partitions. I've overwritten the 1st of the two installations with Windows XP Home (NTFS). In the process, I've overwritten the original MBR. My efforts to recover the remaining Linux partition using different tools have failed.

I was going to upgrade the contents of my 10.04 Ubuntu partition with 11. When I go to run the installation I'm given a number of guided options and a manual. As I'm trying to keep the Windows XP Installation accessible & intact, I'm not quite sure of which partition to install the new linux to.

Running the linux install, I have the options of /sda2 thru /sda6. When examineing the hard drive with windows tools, I get the following results from Computer Management and text disk (I've attached screen shots of the program's results).

karlson
July 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I originally had two Ubuntu Linux partitions. I've overwritten the 1st of the two installations with Windows XP Home (NTFS). In the process, I've overwritten the original MBR. My efforts to recover the remaining Linux partition using different tools have failed.

I was going to upgrade the contents of my 10.04 Ubuntu partition with 11. When I go to run the installation I'm given a number of guided options and a manual. As I'm trying to keep the Windows XP Installation accessible & intact, I'm not quite sure of which partition to install the new linux to.

Running the linux install, I have the options of /sda2 thru /sda6. When examineing the hard drive with windows tools, I get the following results from Computer Management and text disk (I've attached screen shots of the program's results).

Have you tried booting from a Linux CD and examining the partitions using Linux tools?