PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Overlay scrollbars

Kulile
July 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Greetings everybody. The new overlay scrollbars on 11.04 are a nice touch but can be irritating at times since they are not limited to the inside of the active window (depending on whether the window is maximised or not). I occasionally find myself missing the slider feature that spawns on mouseover when it appears outside the window and hitting whatever is next to or behind the active window and thus inadvertantly bringing undesired windows to the foreground.

Is the anyway of forcing the slider to appear only on the inside of the active window??

stormelf
July 21st, 2011, 01:32 AM
I do not have a solution but I am having exactly the same problem.

The overlay scrollbars seem like a good idea in theory but in practice they create new usability problems. For me the problems are greater than the benefits, so I have currently disabled overlay scrollbars completely. I sadly doubt Canonical is doing any genuine usability testing on any of their new inventions (overlay scrollbars, global menu, unity). To me they all solve one problem while creating three new.

wildmanne39
July 21st, 2011, 03:54 AM
Hi, the only thing I know to do about it is to remove them, here is a link for that.
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/things-to-tweak-fix-after-installing.html
You will have to scroll down the page some to find it.